MY CAR WAS RUNNING ROUGH AND NOW IT WONT START AND ITS BACKFIREING INTO THE THROTTLEBODY

1982 Buick Skylark • 140 miles

I have an 82 buick skylark 2.5L TBI we got the car started and drove it about an hour home on the freeway it ran fine then when we got home and shut it off it wouldnt start again till it sat for awhile then it was still hard to start when it was running the engine would pluse. I did a tune up cap, rotor, plugs, wires, Ive changed the coil I could get the car to start sometimes then the car started to overheat I got thermostat and temp sensor the car started ran ok didnt overheat anymore but the next day I was going to work on it and it wont start at all it turns over fine twice then it like glugs three times then backfires into the throttle body and will not start there is also a really loud squeal where the belts are ive changed both belts and it still makes noise it get louder when its reved up but goes away after awhile
510

Does that have a timing chain or belt? Is it a throttle body?

Fixitmr
Im not sure if its a chain or belt and yes it a singel port throttle body

510
Check the distributor cap. I believe it still had one then. It may be wet or carboned tracked.

Check fuel pressure. Backfire besides misfire, can mean to lean

Fixitmr
Turned out the new rotor broke wasnt maken good contact anymore put the old one back in. So it starts again but it still backfires when I give it gas if it in drive or reverse it will stall out and die. I think the water pump is bad it keeps overheating I got a new temp sensor and thermostat and the loud sqweel when it starts sounds like it could be the water pump still dont have a check engine light and the temp light didnt come on when it overheated

510
I think you need to back up to basics. Start with a compression test.
You talked about the rotor being bad, how about the cap?

The timing is worked with gears, not a belt or chain.

I plan. On doing a compression test tomorrow. I'll post the results

510
The cap looked fine but I put the old one back on anyway.
Could the transmission be causing the car to stall and die when I stop

510
Yes, in those days the torque converter was a common failure and made the car stall. On the drivers front of the transmission, there is a square connector on the trans. Remove it and see if it continues.

It would have nothing to do with the bacfiring.

Sorry I posted that wrong it dosent die when I stop
it dies when I try to go after stoping it pops and dies

510