LINCOLN MARK VI FUEL FILTER PROBLEM

1981 Lincoln Mark VI • 68,000 miles

My father in law just gave us a 1981 Lincoln Continental Mark VI. It pretty much has been sitting since 2000. He periodically changed the oil as it sat through the years. He would dump gas out of a can in it also through the years. I topped the gas off the day we went to pick it up. About 3 gallons worth was all that was needed. We then drove it 6 hours from Tennessee to Alabama. The car rode awesome. Never a glitch. The next morning we went to drive it, and it would hardly run. It would act like it was stuck in gear. Then take off. Wouldnt barely make it up a slight incline. I could smell a rubber like burning smell. I did have the defroster on and the a/c does not work. I sometimes hear vacuum coming from the dash or under the dash. I would love to keep this car because its in great shape. Any suggestions?
Oldbluechair

This one is kind of hard for usto diagnose, better to take it to apro so you can get a good idea. If may be a fuel problem though or possibly clogged converter but kind of doubt it.

Hi hmac300, I went and put a fuel filter on it. When I took the old one off, it had rust pieces in it and look like red water. Fuel take was replaced in 1999. I then checked the injectors. One is firing the other (driver side) is not. Can I ground it out?

Oldbluechair
No you need a noid light to test if they are getting power but there should be resistance in them. Check one that is good and then check the one that isn't firing. But you really need to see if you are getting power so you need a noid light. It plugs into the ahrness and blinkds if gettingpower. If it doesnt' get power then there may be an ignition problem. Also it may have rust I n the injector is why it quit. It 's a good idea to change fuel filter every couple hundred miles becaue of sitting so long. Don't be surprised if the fuel pum goes out either. I dont' have an y specs on that particular car. I thik that you can go to the site her and maybe get amanual for a week that you download for like $11 or buy one from an auto parts store but it would take a little bit of time for that.

Ok, thank you very much!

Oldbluechair
Hmac300, Do you think I could pull off the tbi and use carb cleaner and compressed air and clean everything out? Injectors are hard to find around here except for online. I thought maybe there was dirt up in the tbi blocking that injector. Thank You.

Oldbluechair
You need to run pro tpe injector clear throught them not take it appart. It's gotta be hooked up to fuel line and cleaned that way, maybe a garga near you may have it. Otherwise if teh injectors are getting power then you'll need to replace them