LOST IGNITION KEY

1981 Ford Futura • 200,000 miles

I lost my ignition key to a 1981 ford fairmont.I took the steering wheel off to remove the cylinder only to discover that I need the key to turn it into the "run" position in order to depress the pin to remove it(!). What are my options.
Jkinard

We drill them out. It is time consuming but does not do any more damage to the column.

Just to add to this one another option could be see if the dealer can cut you a new key from your vin number. With a car that old I dont know if they can but its worth a try.

Would I be able to do it and if so how? Also, while i'm here, two more questions. What are the signs of the master cylinder gone bad? And, after awhile, this car slowly loses idle speed. I adjusted the the idle screw on the carb and that would work for awhile(30 min or so)but it kept idling down. Any suggestions about these issues also?

Jkinard
A locksmith has a gun to do this.

Cadieman
I use a good drill set to drill it out. Very time concsuming but it works.
The master could be failing internally from bad seals. It will float to the floor under light application and pump back up with hard activation. Make sure you dont have an external leak.
It sounds like the float level is high and flooding out or it has a vacuum leak. Either way, the carb will have to be overhauled with a gasket kit and float.

The fluid in the master cylinder keeps getting low after I level it off but I dont see an external leak anywhere. It has to be going somewhere. It does go all the way to the floor before it stops. Even then I have to pump it to actually stops sometimes.

Jkinard
Could be leaking into the car above the brake pedal or into the booster if you have power brakes. I would not drive it like this till you get it repaired. Otherwise it is leaking and you need to find it. A shop can help determine the leak for you.