STEERING WHEEL IS HARD TO TURN AND MAKES NOISE

1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 72,000 miles

1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass mileage: 72,000. I'm from the UK and not to familiar with US vehicles and especially power steering systems. Just lately whenever I turn the steering wheel it is making a louder than normal noise from under the hub. Occasionally usually idling and standing still the wheel is hard to rotate until I rev the engine above idle. I have also noticed a green colored liquid dripping from the underneath of the vehicle to the rear of the engine bay. I bought power steering fluid but I'm unsure as how I should go about servicing the system. Once it is serviced, I am assuming the leak is from the steering system of course and can then go trace that. Any help you can offer in servicing the system and the rough location of the reservoir would be appreciated.
2CarPros-Archives

The power steering pump and reservoir is located on the front of the engine driven by one of the fan belts. There is a removable cap on the top with a dipstick attached. With the engine off, fill this up to the full mark with power steering fluid. Replace the cap, start the engine and check for leaks. On the back of the pump are two hoses either one could be leaking. Check the tension of the drive belts on the pump, as they may be loose. Unless your power steering fluid is green, the liquid you described as green is coolant.

2CarPros-Archives