GMC TRUCK DRIVESHAFT PROBLEM

1980 GMC Truck • 50,000 miles

The cv joint knuckle in the front driveshaft is worn out and the driveshaft itself is butched, im looking for another whole driveshaft assembly but I have no idea what other trucks would have a compatable one, ive searched for days now and have come up with no compatability charts or references at all either the the 73-81 thing, would any of you guys know what I could put in as a replacment? Ive tried auto wreckers and called GM and they couldnt tell me anything
Jessesandberg

I'm surprised the guys at the salvage yards couldn't help. Did you see them use a "Hollander" Guide to look up your part? That is huge, really expensive book that lists all the parts with a code number, then under that number it tells which vehicles use that part.

My next suggestion is to remove the old shaft and march down to one of the pick-your-own-parts yards and match it up. Or you can measure the lengths fully collapsed and fully extended. If you're anywhere between Ohio and southern Georgia, there's real nice chain of yards called "Pull-A-Part" where you pay your buck, throw your tool box in one of their wheel barrows, and you can spend all day there. Parts are very inexpensive, the employees and customers are very friendly, and the yards are very clean and well-organized. I've been to 16 of their 23 yards and have gotten a lot of good deals. You can do an internet search to check their inventory but it won't tell you colors, options, or which parts have already been removed. Some of the yards have cars as old as 1960 models. A few have a few rows of even older cars and trucks. They don't buy insurance wrecks. They only have what owners bring in so a 2000 model is about the newest you'll find.

Awesome thank you, and I live up in alberta but I know where one is around here, is it possible for someone like me to buy one of those books? If so where could I pick one up?

Jessesandberg
I never looked into buying them because they are so expensive and would get used so little. However, I just did a search on eBay and found one for 1975 - 1990 cars and trucks for $36.00 or best offer. These books typically go for hundreds of dollars at live auctions. Do a search for "Hollander Interchange".

Ok, thanks for the help man I appreciate it

Jessesandberg