PINGS UNDER MODERATE ACCELERATION

1980 Ford Falcon • V8 2WD Automatic • 146,000 miles

1980 Ford Falcon XD 351 Cleveland mileage: 146,000. I've got a Ford Falcon Australian car but same set up as a F150 or similar Ford running a 351 Cleveland, mildly worked. The car has started to ping very badly with even moderate acceleration. Sparks seem fine, timing is spot on the carburetor could be running better, but it doesn't seem to be the problem. A few friends believe it is the distributor. Is there a particular part of the distributor, which would be causing the majority of the problem, or something, which I can replace myself? If not I'll have to get it overhauled, but that's pricey. Thanks.

2CarPros-Archives

Check the ignition timing at idle and also at 1000 RPM, 1500 RPM, 2000 RPM and 2500 RPM. Note the timing advance for proper operation, you should have approximately twenty degrees advance between idle and 2500 RPM. Also, if your engine is equipped with an EGR valve, it should be closed at idle and start to open as the RPM increases.

2CarPros-Archives