VACUUME MOTOR

1980 Chevrolet Luv • 53,000 miles

Have a good qustion for you my hanes manual doesnt seem to cover in plain English

regarding vacuum motors
http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo71 ... G_0256.jpg
do you know is it supposed to hold vacuum or slowly release vacuum.
ours is slowly releasing vacuum and not sure if its defective or is it supposed to do that
Jkloos

Here is the part I am calling a vacuum motor unless it is something else

Jkloos
What is the problem you are trying to diagnose?

Danlesabre
I need to know if the unit is supposed to hold vacuum or slowly release vacuum. If it is supposed to slowly release vacuum ours is fine, if its not and its supposed to hold vacuum then I need to replace this unit

Jkloos
I found out ours is fine : )

Jkloos
THAT "THINGEE" SHOULD KEEP THE DOOR OPEN, AFTER THE ENGINE IS WARMED UP

IT SHOULD BE CLOSED, WHEN THE VACUUM CRAP, ON DOWN IT'S VACUUM LINE IS TELLING IT TO DRAW HOT AIR OFF OF THE ENGINE. BECAUSE CONDITIONS ARE COLD!

REALLY A BIT MORE COMPLICATED, IF YOU RECITE THE BOOK

HOW WAS MY SIMPLIFIED COUNTRY BOY ANSWER?

More lost than ever, not your fault. I am blond. Thanks anyways ; )

Jkloos
PULL THE HOSE OFF OF THE END OF THE METAL "SNOUT"--LOOK OR WITH A MIRROR AND FLASH LIGHT---OBSERVE DOWN INSIDE THE SNOUT, JUST UNDER THE "THINGEE". COLD/ RUNNING/ WARMED UP.

WATCH THE DOOR EITHER, LET IN AIR FROM THE HOSE YOU REMOVED (FRESH, OUTSIDE AIR, OR ALLOW IT TO ENTER THE HOSE, ON THE BOTTOM, FROM THE ENGINE (HEATED AIR)

MAKE SENSE NOW?

We tested with a vacuum pressure gauge. With it hooked up it reads 0 if we unhook it and test, the vacuum meter read 14 inches steady on idle.
I understand it is called a vacuum motor however there are no images of one to google and no parts called that. Could it be called by any other names? I am in california and it would be required for ca. Standard emissions. Its hard to believe its not an available part unless I am searching the wrong term (chevy luv vacuum motor) the diaphragm inside the unit must be faulty as vacuum leaks right through it.

Jkloos
SORTA WHERE ARE YOU PLUGGING YOUR GAUGE IN, IN BOTH TESTS?

THE ON-LINE MANUAL AVAILABLE TO ME, DOES NOT GO BACK TO YOUR YEAR.

I WOULD SLING YOU A VACUUM DIAGRAM

I MAY BE ABLE TO GET A DIAGRAM WITH THE SAME KINDA SYSTEM, JUST NOT SPECIFIC TO YOUR MAKE OR MODEL

I AM SENDING YOU A MESSAGE--HOME>YOUR USER NAME>LOOK TO THE LEFT FOR MESSAGES