ACCIDENTAL SWITCH OF BATTERY CABLES

1980 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe • 35,000 miles

It was dark and cold and I was trying to jump my truck, but I found the cables weren't connected as I just purchased the vehicle and had disconnected them to put in the new battery, anyway, it being dark I switched the cables. Positive went to negative and vice versa. I got in, tried to start the truck, nothing happened so I went out to look, used my cell for some light and heard something like steam and a small puff of smoke come up from the right side of my engine near some wiring. Not good. So today I have been looking and reading, I can't find any wiring that is bad. I put in a new battery, no power at all. I tried putting jumper cables on, still no power. I checked the wiring from the battery to the starter solenoid and everything looks good. I checked all the wiring from where the smoke came from and nothing I can see looks out of the ordinary and I have pulled and checked all the fuses. Nada. I am lost, frustrated, and would really appreciate help anyone has to offer. Thank you.
Screaman005

There are fuselinks at the starter. Pull on the wires and see if one is blown. You may have damaged the altenater to.

Cadieman
Would the alternator being damaged cause their to be no power at all to the truck itself? I don't get any lights or radio or anything. And I found the wires from the solenoid to the starter but what are the fuselinks? Its under the truck so I don't have the best view of the wires

Screaman005
The wires that hook to the starter are fuselinks. One is burnt. Jack it up and start checking the wires.

Cadieman
Alrighty, got the starter dropped and the wires are exposed. They are dirty and there is a thick sheath over the top of it all which I have cut down to expose them. Now, how do I check the fuselinks? Is there an obvious way to tell if one is bad? And also, if one is bad, is it hard to replace? Do I have to run a whole new wire or do I just splice the wire into a new fuselink? Thanks for all the help so far, I do appreciate it!

Screaman005
Pull on each wire if the fuselink is blown the wire will fall apart. The fuselink is the wires that hook to the seloniod. You can spice a new one in. The fuselink is hooked the the copper wire and then the seloniod. You should have a test light to check the voltages.

Cadieman