JEEP CJ7 BATTERY PROBLEM

1979 Jeep CJ7 • 100 miles

79 cj7 304 will not start. Motorcraft 2100 was rebuilt and had it running. Next day tried to start it and heard a horrible sound like something was in the fan. Finally got it started and drove it but ran pretty rough. Next 2 days would not start even with starting fluid in the carb. New battery, cap, coil and plugs. Have gas from the filter. Starter seems to drag even with new battery and seems to discharge battery quick. This cj has sat for over 4 years without running. Did all the vac lines as per a diagram. Have what looks like a fuel nipple on the lid of the carb above the pump diaphram, and idea what that is for? Thanks
Aheath

Check for spark and fuel first then check compression your horrible sound may have been a valve acquainting it self with the piston. The nippleon top of carb may go to canniser purge for fumes. That may be the reason for the starter dragging or the battery is weak or cable.

Have spark and fuel. Tries to fire and will get small backfire out of carb. All line are hooked up to canister. Any chance that nipple is another fuel inlet to the top of the carb. I drove the jeep after it made that clattering and it hasn't done it since but will not start. Should I replace the starter and solenoid?

Aheath
If it turns over check compression if starter turns over it should start the truck you can have battery and starter checked at auto parts normally for free

One other thing check to see if in time bring up to tdc then check to see if dist is at same on cap. You may have trhown a timing chain especially with eteh backfire you are talking about.

HAS MR. DISTRIBUTOR BEEN OUT?....I CAN HELP YOU GET IT IN CORRECTLY

VACUUM DIAGRAMS SHOULD BE IN YOUR REPAIR MANUAL---IF IT'S NOT LIKE ORIGINAL, YOU'LL HAVE TO DECIDE WHAT PORTS TO PLUG OFF---AND WHICH ARE NEEDED TO RUN IT............OTHER THAN PWR BRAKES---ALL THAT IS NEEDED IS THE VACUUM ADVANCE AND THE PCV LINES...........UNLESS YOU ARE SMOG TESTED IN YOUR AREA.....EVEN THEN SOME PLACES SORTA HAVE SLACKER REQUIREMENTS FOR OLDER VEHICLES

IF YOU WILL, SEND PICS WITH THE BREATHER OFF AND WELL LIT WITH SOME SUNLIGHT OR LAMPS

PLEASE GIMME DIFFERENT ANGLES AND VIEWS OF THE WHOLE NINE YARDS!

I DID FIND THIS IF THIS HELPS

http://webspace.webring.com/people/dg/geer_hed/images/mc2100_vac.jpg

HOW OLD IS THIS FUEL?

IS YOUR FUEL SYSTEM SET UP WITH THIS TYPE FILTER AND PLUMBING...AS IT WAS ORIGINALLY?....SEE MY PICS (THE REGULATOR AND FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE ARE OPTIONAL)

ANY OTHER NON-STOCK MODIFICATIONS?

Distributor has not been off just new cap and rotor. Vehicle sat for 4 years without running. Rebuilt the carb with spray cleaner not soaked and put Seafoam and 5 gal of gas in it. Got it started with starting fluid and ran it around the block and idled pretty well. Next day started hard and idled like crap but ran. Next day would not start and sounded like something was in the fan (clacking) on cranking. Last night got it started after pumping the hell out of it but barely ran (chugging) at full throttle and engine knocking. Removed carb and am soaking to clean today. Any help is appreciated!

Aheath
Also this is a 79 so no emissions required in AZ. Have all vac lines hooked up to the 2 CTOs with T going various places including purge canister. Is there an easier vacuum run without all the garbage? Thanks again!

Aheath
I dont' think this is a carb problem but redo it once more and look for a float that is sunk due to alcohol in todays fuel may have ate it up. Especially if float is plastic, the inside o fit gets eaten out by alcohol an d sinks. Engine knocking doesn't sound good you may have lost a rod bearing. Check your timing chatin to dist like I said before, it could have jumped.

Checked cylinder 1 to distr. Seems to be good. Will remove valve covers to check for damage. Any other suggestions?

Aheath
Earlier I asked ifyou had checked compression. Did you? And what is the readings accross the cylinders. These 6 cylinders were decent engines but if they sat for an extended period they would break and bend pushrods and throw rocker arms. I still thinkit's eitehr compression or timing but also is there spark i've heard no mention at all of that.

Page 1 of 2