JEEP CJ5 BATTERY PROBLEM

1979 Jeep CJ5 • 175,000 miles

I am having trouble getting my starter to engage. I have taken the starter down and they said it was good. When I hooked up the battery the wire from the solenoid to the alternator burned in half. I think it may be a short somewhere but when I look all the wires are good so I don't know what else to do.
Dhunts20

ARE YOU GOOD AT THIS AUTO STUFF?

CAN YOU SEND ME A PIC OF YOUR WIRING

I HAVE COLORED A '79 WIRING DIAGRAM---I HAVE IT SAVED---2 PIECES THAT OVERLAP

I ALSO BLEW THE PUPPY UP TO A MONSTER SIZE--SO I COULD USE IT IN THE GARAGE

SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE SOMETHING WIRED WRONG--MAYBE THE SOLENOID

I HAVE THAT PORTION SORTA PULLED FROM THE BIG DIAGRAM---LOOK IT OVER---SEE IF YOU SEE THE PROBLEM

I WILL CONTINUE TO ASSIST, AS LONG AS YOU KEEP RESPONDING TELL ME THE WHOLE STORY IN MEGA DETAIL---FROM THE TIME IT WAS OK----TILL THE TIME SOMETHING WENT WRONG

YOU ARE ALLOWED TO BLAME ANY SCREW-UPS ON YOUR EVIL BUDDIES!

YOU FAILED TO GIVE YOUR ENGINE SIZE---DIAGRAM SHOWS BOTH SORTA INTERTWINED---I WILL "CLEAN IT UP" IF YOU TELL ME THE ENGINE SIZE, IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND IT

KEEP IN MIND WHEN I COLORED THIS---"WHITE WIRES" ARE BLACK LINES

"DOTTED WIRES" ARE THE CORRECT COLOR---THE TRACER STRIPE COLOR WAS NOT LISTED SO I DOTTED IT WITH BLACK TO EMPHASIZE IT DOES HAVE A TRACER, OF SOME COLOR ON IT

YOUR TURN

Its a 258 4.2L I6
I just bought it a few months ago and it's been like this since I got it. The guy said it was running and starting when he parked it 3 years ago and he didn't mess with any wiring or anything. And you are right I'm not too experienced with working on vehicles I bought it to work on it and fix it up so I can learn how I don't have anyone I know that is good at it either. If you could "clean it up" I might be able to understand the diagram. I was looking at another diagram picture you guys sent to a different guy with a 79 cj5 and according to that picture it looks right but I'll get you a picture if I don't understand the diagram you send me. Thank you

Dhunts20
REALLY LATE HERE

I WORK 1100-1830 EST TOMORROW

I'LL GET IT CLEANED UP SOME SO YOU CAN FOLLOW THE WIRES WITH EASE

MY SECOND JEEP WAS A '79 BACK IN '83----PROBABLY THE BEST YEAR THAT AMC EVER MADE

I'VE SORTA BROUGHT MY PRESENT '77 (CJ 5 #6)---(MY '46 WILLYS IS #7) UP TO THE SAME STANDARDS WITH MANY UPGRADES AND EVEN A BUNCH OF MY MODIFICATIONS TO MAKE IT EVEN MORE "USER FRIENDLY"

I'VE ANSWERED MOST OF THE CJ 5 AND 7 QUESTIONS FOR THE LAST 2+ YEARS

YOU CAN LOOK 'EM OVER---BUT LET'S GET YOU STRAIGHT NOW--BEFORE YOU GO OUT ON YOUR OWN!

SORTA DON'T WANT A BUNCH OF EXTRA FACTORS PLAYING IN

WANNA KNOW IF YOU ARE EMISSIONS TESTED, IF SO, WHAT DO THEY ALLOW FOR AN OLDER RIG LIKE YOURS?

HOW ABOUT LAYING THE HOOD ON THE WINDSHIELD---REMOVE THE BREATHER---STAND ON THE BUMPER AND GET ME SOME GOOD SHOTSGET ME SOME SIDE SHOTS OF BOTH SIDES OF THE WHOLE ENGINE---WITH A DECENT CAMERA

THIS WILL GIVE ME AN IDEA OF THE SITUATION----LETS SEE THE WHOLE JEEP TOO!

YOU WILL NEED SOME OF THIS TOO!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2007-ford-taurus-tune-up

SORRY I WROTE BACK SO LATE I WROTE BACK AS SOON AS I GOT THE EMAIL MUST HAVE GOT IT LATE.
NO I AM NOT EMISSIONS TESTED I LIVE IN COLORADO AND WE DONT HAVE TO GET OUR VEHICLES INSPECTED SO I HAVE NO IDEA.

ITS NOT LETTING ME SEND ALL OF THE PICS TO YOU I MIGHT HAVE TO SEND THEM A COUPLE AT A TIME.

Dhunts20
YEAH I HAVE TO SEND THEM 2 AT A TIME

Dhunts20
AND CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT THIS SILVER BUTTON IS BEHIND THE PEDAL I HAVE NO IDEA?

Dhunts20
OKI HOPE YOU ARE NOT A HOARDER TOO!

GONNA HAVE TO CLEAN THAT UP!..................(you oughta be ashamed, presenting him like that!)

SO YOU WILL KNOW WHAT IS UNDER THAT MESS!

I'LL HELP YOU

IS MY "STYLE" TOO HARD TO UNDERSTAND??

THANKS FOR THE PICS

I'M PRESENTLY "DOCTORING" PICS OF RICK'S '85 SO THAT THE CHANGES CAN BE SEEN WELL

WE'LL GET INTO "CRAP REMOVAL", TIMING AND TUNING SOON!!!

IF YOU WANNA SORTA STAY CLEAN---WANNA CLEAN THE ENGINE AND COMPARTMENT REALLY GOOD?

LET'S TRY SOME PURPLE POWER---SQUIRT BOTTLE OR PUMP UP SPRAYER---IT'S SOLD IN VARIOUS SIZES.......ADVANCE AUTO PARTSHAS IT

COVER THE HOLE IN YOUR CARB WITH A RAG

KEEP IT OFF OF YOUR EXTERIOR PAINT---RINSE IT WELL IF YOU DO---IT WILL NOT "IMMEDIATELY" EAT YOUR PAINT, JUST RINSE IT SOON

SPRAY EVERYTHING UNDER THE HOOD----BATTERY/ HOSES/ FENDER WELLS/ ALL!!!!!

YOU MIGHT "TOOTHBRUSH" HEAVY DEPOSITS WHILE ITS SITTING

........OR JUST WAIT UNTIL YOU'VE RINSED IT---IT REALLY TAKES OF HEAVY DEPOSITS TOO, YOU'LL GET THE HANG OF IT!

LET IT SIT FOR 5-10 MINUTES----SPRAY IT OFF HARD WITH THE GARDEN HOSE SPRAYER---NO NEED TO PRESSURE WASH IT

NOW RINSE YOUR BODY AGAIN, IN CASE YOU GOT RESIDUE ON IT

LET'S SEE IF WE CAN GET SOME "VALUCRAFT" CARB CLEANER (AUTOZONE'S BRAND)---VALUCRAFT IS THE BEST SPRAY CARB CLEANER I'VE FOUND

I'D SAY ONE CAN OF VALUCRAFT DOES THE JOB OF 3 CANS OF ANOTHER BRAND

I BUY A LOT WHEN THEY PUT IT ON SALE FOR LIKE $1 A CAN!

SPRAY THE ENTIRE CARB THOROUGHLY (NOT TRYING TO CLEAN IT, THIS PASS)---- LET IT SIT 2 -5 MINUTES----IT SHOULD BE "LOOSE" NOW----THEN SPRAY IT AGAIN----THIS TIME USE THE STRAW---AND CONCENTRATE ON STUBBORN GOO, LEAVE IT AND GET THE EZ STUFF, GO BACK TO THE STUBBORN AND TRY AGAIN

THE ONLY THING THAT MAY NEED ATTENTION IS (IF IT ACTS UP) REMOVE THE DISTRIBUTOR CAP AND TOWEL DRY THE INSIDE OF THE CAP--THEN RE-INSTALL

AS FAR AS THE DIMMER AND ANY CONNECTION THAT IS SUBJECT TO THE ELEMENTS----SEE MY ANSWER ON "NOVEMBER 29 2012" IN THIS POST

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1983-jeep-cj7-low-mileage-6-had-been-while-since-started-two-months-ago/page/2

YOUR TURN

I CLEANED OUT THE OTHER PARTS OF THE WIRE DIAGRAM

TRACE EVERYTHING OUT RELATED TO THE STARTER/ ALTERNATOR/ SOLENOID

INSURE THE UNDER HOOD PARTS ARE HOOKED UP AS SHOWN--WE MAY HAVE TO SEE WHAT INSIDE THE FIREWALL COULD BE WRONG---IF IT'S NOT UNDER THE HOOD

KEEP ME POSTED

LETS LOOK AT THIS ONE TOO

CONNECTIONS---ESPECIALLY WET AND MUDDY ONES MAY NEED SOME SPECIAL ATTENTION

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1996-chevrolet-tahoe-wont-start-sounds-dead-battery-jumpbox-get-same-reults

LET ME KNOW HOW MUCH YOU'VE GOTTEN DONE!

WE'LL KEEP ON GOING

I'M GONNA GO INTO THE SOLENOID

ON MINE, I HAVE SWITCHED THE ROLES OF THE TWO BIG POSTS. MOST OLDER FORDS ARE HOOKED LIKE YOU WILL SEE MINE

THE BIGGEST REASON I HAVE DONE BOTH OF MY JEEPS LIKE THIS IS. THE POSITIVE BATTERY CABLE WILL BE RIGHT BESIDE "S" TERMINAL ("3" AND "C" IN MY PICS)

HAVING THEM SIDE BY SIDE I CAN USE A SCREWDRIVER SHAFT TO CONNECT THEM FOR A TEMPORARY "BUMP" OF THE ENGINEIF A REMOTE STARTER SWITCH IS UNAVAILABLE

IF THE KEY IS ON---I CAN START IT THAT WAY

LOOKING AT A CJ WIRING DIAGRAM THEY ARE USUALLY SWAPPED JUST OPPOSITEHOWEVER YOU CHOOSE TO DO IT

---THE STARTER CABLE IS "ALL BY ITSELF" ON ONE BIG POST

---THE POSITIVE BATTERY CABLE AND ALL "FEEDS" ARE SANDWICHED ON THE OTHER BIG POST

"S" AND "I" REMAIN THE SAME AND CANNOT BE SWITCHED (EXCEPT BY ACCIDENT---THEN IT WON'T DO NOTHIN'!)

THE POSITIVE BATTERY CABLE ("1") HOOKS TO THE LEFT SIDE OF THE SOLENOID (THE BIG POST, "A"). THE OTHER BIG POST ("B") IS FOR THE STARTER CABLE ONLY! ("2"), SORTA HARD TO SEE IN THE SHADOW

JUST FOR INFO--THE LITTLE STUD ON THE LEFT IS "S" TERMINAL ("C") TURNING THE KEY TO "START" MAKES THE IGNITION SWITCH SEND 12 VOLTS TO THE "S" TERMINAL, WHICH ACTIVATES THE SOLENOID---THEN THE STARTER TURNS OVER

THE OTHER LITTLE POST ON THE RIGHT, ("D"), IS "I" TERMINAL, IT SORTA BOOSTS THE COIL AT START-UP

NORMALLY "S" AND "I" ARE MOLDED INTO THE PLASTIC SO YOU WILL KNOW WHICH IS WHICH

FUSIBLE LINK ON A CJ AND OLDER FORDS (A SHORT WIRE ACTING AS A FUSE)----A FUSIBLE LINK IS A WIRE, BUT IT MELTS IF THE AMP DRAW GETS TOO HIGH---THEY COME IN DIFFERENT AMP RATINGS. MOST OF THE TIME IT'S THE LAST LINE OF DEFENSE IF A SHORT HAPPENS

THEY ARE USUALLY LOCATED IN THE SYSTEM WHERE THE WIRE WOULD START "COOKING" 1ST, SHOULD IT OVERHEAT, OFFERING THE BEST PROTECTION, TO PREVENT MASSIVE WIRE HARNESS MELTAGE OR A FIRE. IN THE CASE OF MY JEEPS, AT THE BEGINNING, WHERE THE POWER ORIGINATES

ON THE FORD SYSTEM (MY JEEP TOO) THE POSITIVE BATTERY CABLE ("1") IS PIGGYBACKED ON TO OTHER WIRES ON THE SOLENOID (A)RIGHT HERE AT "THIS POINT", THE ENTIRE JEEP GETS ALL POWER INSIDE AND OUT

THE SOLENOID IN THE PICS BELONGS TO MY 1946 WILLYS JEEP, AND MY '77 ---I KINDA MIMICKED MUCH OF THE WAY MY 1977 CJ5 WAS WIRED, WHEN I MODERNIZED IT'S WIRING

"3" GOES TO MY FUSE BOX (POWERS EVERYTHING ON MY '46)

"4" GOES TO MY ALTERNATOR ---AGAIN ON MY '46

BOTH "3" AND "4" ARE FUSIBLE LINKS. SOME HAVE MARKINGS SUCH AS "3"---OTHERS ARE NOT MARKED, SUCH AS "4"

AS FAR AS SIZES, MANY ARE REFFED TO BY "GAUGE"

SOME DON'T LOOK NOTHIN' LIKE THESE ON OTHER CARS!

YOU CAN SEE THE "HEAT SHRINK" WHERE I TIED INTO "REAL WIRES"

THERE ARE 3 WAYS I CAN THINK OF TO TEST CJ FUSIBLE LINKS

1ST METHOD IS: IT'S OBVIOUSLY BURNED OR DISTORTED.

2ND METHOD IS A CONTINUITY TEST.

THE LAST AND EZist TO DO IS, TUG ON THE FUSIBLE LINK, IF IT FEELS STOUT, IT'S PROBABLY GOOD---IF YOU PULL ON IT AND IT THE INSULATION STRETCHES OUT LIKE A RUBBER BAND, THE WIRE IS FRIED. BUT DID IT'S JOB IN PROTECTING THE CIRCUIT!

KEEP THIS IN MIND."WHY DID IT MELT/ BLOW?" FIX THE PROBLEM. DON'T JUST "STRAIGHT WIRE" IT BACK TOGETHER WITHOUT A FUSIBLE LINK. THIS IS JUST ASKING FOR SOMETHING BAD TO HAPPEN!