I CHANGED THE VACUM ADVANCE ON THE DISTRIBUTOR

1979 Ford F-150

THE INSIDE OF THE DISTTRIBUTOR IS GOOD
JUNIOR

I WAS DRIVEING ALONG AND LET OFF THE GAS TO TURN AND MASSHED THE GAS AND IT DOESENT HAVE ANY POWER. I HAVE CHANGED FUEL FILTER, PLUGS, ROTOR, CAP CHECKED TIMEING, CHANGED THE VACUM ADVANCE ON THE DISTRIBATOR. IDELS GOOD, BUT WHEN I DRIVE IT HAS NO POWER. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS.

JUNIOR
Does it still have the catalytic converter on it?

Yes it still has the catalytic converter on it. How would I check it?

JUNIOR
THE BEST THING TO DO IS SHOP AROUND FOR A COMPETENT AND REASONABLE MUFFLER SHOP ON THE PHONE (AS FAR AS HOW MUCH TO REPLACE THE CAT)

THEN SEE IF YOU CAN "LIMP" IT DOWN THERE AND HAVE THEM CHECK IT OUT TO SEE IF IT IS DEFECTIVE.........THE PHONE THING WILL AID IN YOU NOT LIMPING IT ALL OVER THE WORLD---IT WILL BE IN THE RIGHT PLACE SHOULD IT NEED REPLACING!

IF THIS IS NOT THE CASE

I WILL SORTA GUIDE YOU THRU CHECKING YOUR TIMING AND INSURING THE MECHANICAL AND VACUUM ADVANCES ARE WORKING CORRECTLY

YOU WILL NEED A VARIETY OF SCREWDRIVERS---A PORTABLE DWELL/TACH METER---A REGULAR, PLAIN JANE TIMING LIGHT WITHOUT THE BELLS AND WHISTLES (IF YOU HAVE AN ADJUSTABLE ONE, IT WILL BE SET TO "ZERO" AND/OR IT WILL NEED TO "ACT" LIKE A TRADITIONAL TIMING LIGHT [SEE IT'S INSTRUCTION MANUAL])

WITHOUT THESE TOOLS, YOU ARE JUST WHIZZING AGAINST THE WIND!...WE CAN'T JUST "WING" SOME OF THIS STUFF, IT MUST BE ACCURATE.

A REPAIR MANUAL SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE 1ST TOOL THAT YOU BOUGHT FOR THIS RIG...SEE MY LINK

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2007-ford-taurus-tune-up

WE REALLY NEED ACCURATE RESULTS OF YOUR TESTS---NO SENSE IN CHASING OUR TAIL FOR A WEEK AND THEN FINDING OUT IT WAS SOMETHING WE THOUGHT WAS ELIMINATED FROM THE EQUATION

SOME OF US WILL STICK WITH YOU FOR A LONG TIME TO AID YOU--WE ALSO GET FRUSTRATED WHEN THE "SYSTEMATIC ELIMINATION WAY" TURNS INTO JUMPING ALL OVER THE PLACE WITH WHAT YOUR BUDDIES ARE MONKEYING WITH (SOMETIMES COMPOUNDING THE PROBLEM)......MY FAVORITE FORUMS HERE ARE THE JEEP CJs, IN THERE YOU WILL SEE THE EXTENT I TRY TO HELP

WE DO HAVE SOME MORE TRICKS UP OUR SLEEVE, AND PICS THAT COULD BE HELPFUL

YOUR TURN.....I DID ANSWER YOUR OTHER DUPLICATE QUESTION, YOU DID NOT RESPOND....SO LET'S JUST STAY HERE ON THIS POST, YOU GOT 2 CAPABLE PERSONNEL WITH YOU NOW...AND OTHERS STILL MAY JUMP IN TO ASSIST

AIN'T THAT THE PERTTY-EST JEEP YOU EVER DID SEE? (J&N keep them comments to yerself!)

OK I TOOK OFF THE CONVERTER. I REPLACED THE ELCTRONIC MODULE. HAVE ANY MORE IDEAS?

JUNIOR
NOT SURE ABOUT YOUR RIG---SOME FORDS HAVE SEVERAL "CATS", SOME ARE "FAT" EXHAUST PIPES CLOSE TO THE ENGINE. LETS NOT OVERLOOK ANY

IT ONLY HAS ONE. I GOT UNDER AND TOOKOFF THE EXAHST AN TOOKOFF THE CAT AN PUT THE MUFLER ON. AN IT STILL DOES NOT HAVE POWER DRIVEING

JUNIOR
Make sure the valve and ignition timing is correct-also check the coil's primary and secondary winding resistances, also the accelerator pump and power valve of the carbuerator

Ok I checked the timeing an it is on 8BTDC like my book shows. So I went an got a carb kit to redo the carb an I let you know. I WANT TO TELL YOU THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME FIND MY PROBLUM!

JUNIOR
OK I REALY DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. I HAVE CHECK THE TIMEING IS GOOD. I HAVE CHANGED THE VACUM ADVANCE ON THE DIST. I HAVE CHANGED THE ELECTRIC MODUEL. I HAVE TAKEN OFF THE CAT CONVERTER. I HAVE REDID THE CARB WITH A KIT AN ALL. IT IDEALS GOOD BUT DRIVEING IT DOESNT HAVE POWER. DO YOU HAVE ANY MORE IDEAS WHAT MIGHT BE PROBLUM?

JUNIOR
Page 1 of 2