FORD LTD FUEL PRESSURE PROBLEM

1978 Ford LTD • 180,000 miles

I have a 1978 Ford LTD II. With engine running why do I have fuel coming out at the top ports of the carburator?

-

ONE OF SEVERAL REASONS

1) TRASH IN THE NEEDLE AND SEAT. OR THE NEEDLE AND SEAT IS IS DAMAGED IN SOME WAY (THIS IS SORTA LIKE THE VALVE THAT THE FLOATS "OPEN AND CLOSE" TO KEEP THE BOWL AT A PRECISE FUEL LEVEL)

2) THE FLOATS ARE STUCK IN THE DOWN POSITION--ALLOWING THE BOWLS TO CONTINUE TO FILL, 'TILL THEY CAN'T HOLD NO MORE. THIS CAN ALSO HAPPEN IF THE CARB HAS BEEN IMPROPERLY RE-BUILT OR TAKEN APART AND REASSEMBLED INCORRECTLY. POSSIBLY THE FLOAT IS ADJUSTED TO HIGH

3) FUEL PRESSURE IS TOO GREAT---IT OVER POWERS THE NEEDLE AND SEAT (AND FLOAT TOO). BASICALLY THE NEEDLE AND SEAT ARE FORCED APART AND FUEL FLOWS IN UNABLE FOR THE FLOAT TO CLOSE IT OFF. CARBS USUALLY REQUIRE 5 PSI OR LESS OF FUEL PRESSURE TO FUNCTION CORRECTLY. SOME PEOPLE TRY TO BE "HIGH SPEED-LOW DRAG" AND INSTALL HIGHER PRESSURE ELECTRIC FUEL PUMPS ON THERE FUEL SYSTEM. THIS IS THE RESULT

YOUR TURN

Float has a pin hole causing it to sink could also be the problem -inspect it-

THANKS RAZ---FORGOT THAT ONE!