FJ55 350 CARBURETOR IS RUNNING OUT OF FUEL WHEN UNDER A LOAD

1976 Toyota Landcruiser • V8 4WD Automatic • 100,000 miles

1976 Toyota Landcruiser FJ55 w/chevy350 Carburetor is running out of fuel when under a load. I have stopped the vehicle as soon as the motor leans and quits. Checked the carburetor fuel bowl (350 Holley) and no fuel. The truck has 2 tanks and a mechanical type switch. This happens on both tanks. I have tried 2 pumps and 2 separate lines from the switch to the pump. The pump is firewall mounted. Turning the ignition on after it stalls gradually fills the bowl again for a restart. The pump is giving about 60 liters per hour from a basic flow test I did. The voltage seems ok at 13.5 volts and steady. I have checked the needle and seat, cleaned out carburetor etc. It idles fine, accelerates fine, but just runs out of fuel when under a load for a while. I'm suspect of the needle and seat, as I can't see what else it could be. But the needle seems quite free and the float level is correct. There is a lot of fuel pressure right at the carburetor inlet after it cuts too. I'm baffled. HELP! Mark
2CarPros-Archives

Electric fuel pumps are good pushers but do not do well pulling the fuel. Try relocating your electric fuel pumps as close to the fuel tank as possible. Keep them as low as possible also. Make sure the tanks are properly vented so as to be sure you are not forming a vacuum as you draw fuel out

2CarPros-Archives