MY STEERING COLUMN IS LIFTING UP

1976 Ford F-250 • 53,000 miles

I have a 1976 ford f250 ranger automatic 460, the power steering went out, but now i'm having bigger issues. The steering wheel is very stiff and while driving when I turn the whole colum lifts up, and the truck will shift into netrual, and when I straight the steering wheel is very stiff, not only because of the lack of power steering, but now its getting worse. The steering wheel is now upside down (to go straight) while in reverse if I move the steering wheel slightly to the right if shifts into netrual, if I move it to the left it shifts back into reverse. While driving when I make a right turn the steering wheel locks up and shifts back into netural. The whole steering colum looks like it has been raised up inside of the cab, flush with the bottom of the dash board. Under the hood, looking at the steering, I can see that there is some metal that looks disconnected and mangled. What is the possibillities of the repairs?
Ford76460

You have a serious problem with the steering system and/or linkages and DO NOT drive the vehicle. You can lose control of the steering completely anytime.

I am not syre what you are refering to but seems and muy guess is that one of the universal joints has gone off.

IF YOU ARE A "GOOD DIYer" TIS MAY HELP GUIDE YOU

MIGHT HAVE TO REWORD MY SEARCH FOR OTHER RESULTS---LOOK AT THE SUGGESTIONS DOWN THE SIDE ALSO

AS FAR AS INSURING THE VIDEOS AND "YOU" ARE ULTIMATELY CORRECT---I'D TRUST A REPAIR MANUAL, MORE THAN WORD OF MOUTH (THEY HAVE BEEN PROOFREAD, AND USUALLY DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING OUT)

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2007-ford-taurus-tune-up

KEEP US INFORMED ON HOW ITS GOING

DON'T JUST "WING IT"---THIS IS YOUR STEERING!...IT'S KINDA IMPORTANT!.....SEEK HELP FROM SOMEONE COMPETENT IN THIS, IF YOU ARE UNSURE

THANKS GUYS! I have looked at the issue in a bit more detail. The steering shaft (under the hood) I found a peice of metal (a connector of some kind) that had been bent and twisted. Without that connection the steering wheel has alot of play in it, and when turned too much the peices are not rotating properly, and causing tension until its forced over back into place. I'll try to upload some pictures. Now my question has turned to, has anyone fixed this issue before? And what would a fair estimate from a mechanic be?

Ford76460
LOOKS LIKE MAYBE YOU HAVE DAMAGED AN "EAR"

IF THIS IS DOWN NEAR THE STEERING GEAR---I'D SAY YOU NEED A STEERING COUPLER----FROM THE LOOKS OF IT THE REINFORCED RUBBER IS GONE

THIS IS SORTA A "U"-JOINT KINDA THING MADE OF RUBBER

YES, THIS IS A COMMON PROBLEM WHEN THE RUBBER GETS OLD

SEE THIS LINK---THIS IS MOST LIKELY YOUR FIX----A GOOD WELDING SHOP MIGHT REPAIR YOUR DAMAGED METAL

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PartSearchCmd?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&pageId=partTypeList&suggestion=&actionSrc=Suggest&searchTerm=steering+coupler&searchedFrom=header

LET ME KNOW HOW THINGS ARE GOING

The Medic, After searching online at parts, I found the steering coupler and thought that might be the part I was refering too. Glad to know there are people out there who know what they are talking about. Based on the info I've told you, if that was replaced, could that fix the issue (other than the power steering issue) of the truck shifting gears while turning? Do you know how difficult it is to replace? I'm pretty handy and do all the minor things on my vehicles like tune ups and brakes, and replacing starters and altonators etc. Thanks again guys!

Ford76460
THOSE 2 PIECES WILL GO PERPENDICULAR TO ONE ANOTHER (FOR AN "X" THE COUPLER WILL BOLT ON UPPER END 12 AND 6 O'CLOCK----THE LOWER HALF WILL BOLT ON AT 3 AND 9 O'CLOCK

HERE'S ANOTHER LINK---MIGHT HELP YOU UNDERSTAND BETTER

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Miscellaneous-Repair-Parts/Steering-Coupling-Disc/_/N-261w?filterByKeyWord=STEERING&fromString=search

KEEP US INFORMED---IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, LET ME KNOW

CJ is right

Does anyone know if this is a relatively easy repair? Would I need to disassemble the whole steering shaft/column to repair the coupler, or does it slide on? Is it the broken coupler that could have been causing the truck to shift gears on turns? Again thank you guys!

Ford76460
It is straight forward repair. No dis assembly of the column. All done under the hood at the steering box. Be careful and mark how you removed everything and put it together the same way so the wheel is correct when you are done.

Roy, the steering wheel is currently upside down right now, when replacing it if I turn the steering wheel right side up so its correct, well that work? Or well it screw up the allignment? Also, is it necessary to remove the steering wheel to replace the steering coupler?

Ford76460