CADILLAC EL DORADO CARBURETOR PROBLEM

1976 Cadillac El Dorado • 115,000 miles

Hi,

I just had the timing chain on my newly acquired 76 Eldorado (California car) because the old one had 1/2" - 3/4 play in it but the car is running rough still.

There are two vacuum lines that are not connected and my regular mechanic left them that way. One of them is from the EGR valve and he said it might've been disconnected because the EGR was bad. However, I have reason to believe that an alternative mechanic I first used, to get it driveable probably didn't reconnect them but I'm not sure. The vacuum line from the EGR valve is blocked off with a screw in it and another vacuum line going into the carburetor is not connected and the connection on the carburetor is blocked up. The carburetor was just rebuilt so I don't know why anything would be blocked up (I just remembered something. When picked up the carburetor they told me it was all set to go as it was bench tested and had gasoline in it. Perhaps that's why it was blocked up).

Anyway, I want to reconnect these vacuum lines and am wondering if that's okay to do.
But, I'm not a pro so I don't know if anything else needs to be adjusted once I connect them. Supposedly the timing was done because of the new timing chain.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Nick

Do all your ignition checks likecap/rotor wires /plugs etc. Then do a compression check to make sure that those are not the problem. Vacuum being blocked is ok unless you really want to hook those up. You may need to do carb adjustments which you can do with a vacuum gauge by getting highest readin.