VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE AXLE PROBLEM

1974 Volkswagen Beetle • 150,000 miles

How much play should be in the cv axle left to right? Put new tires on today on my dads bug and noticed the axle moves in and out about 1" to 1.5" both sides
Alancowart

Could be the axle bearings (they fit into the outer arm which holds the CV axle). when these bearings wear out they can cause excessive play.

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/Bricecubed/CIMG0150.jpg

Freemba
So what U r saying is this is excessive PLAY?

Alancowart
There is a pluge joint in the axle that has a little play. 1 to 1.5 is a lot of play.

Are you sure the suspension is not moving from a worn out part?

As long as the sub axle on the outside and the transmission flange on the inside are not moving, then that is normal play
for old worn CV joints.

Keep in mind that the axles have to be able to extend & contract during suspension level changes (as the suspension
travels up and down).

I recorded a video of axle shaft "free play" from a Vanagon just now. Will upload later tonight so you can see / compare
to your Bug.

New joints are stiff and will not move easily side to side.

Thomas

Exovcds
Thanks A BUNCHES !

Alancowart
Here's the video I made... sorry about the "quickness" of the video (I was busy working on something else and snuck under my coworkers
hoist). I slowed and stabilized the video a little in the middle... normal speed at the beginning and end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCVtl8zcGjY

I would have to see and feel the ply myself to be able to tell you if it were excessive or not.

Thomas

Exovcds
Seems to me that the video is excessive play, but what do I no?

Alancowart
Like I said. The shaft has to be able to extend and contract. It does this via the joints.

If there were no movement, then the suspension would not be able to function.

Now you know.

Thomas

Exovcds