SOLENOID PROBLEMS ON '74 GRAN ELITE

1974 Ford Torino • 113,000 miles

My solenoid on my 74 Gran Torino Elite failed a little while ago. So right before I went out to buy a new one, I was told to go get the old broken one from the car. I have no mechanical experience whatsoever. So I simply went out to the car and un-bolted the solenoid from the vehicle. I was unaware that I was supposed to mark what side each of the wires were supposed to go on. So now I have a new solenoid in my car, but I have no idea what wires go on what side of the solenoid. I have winged it a few times now with some not so positive results. At one point without the key in the ignition or anything my car just started trying to turn over when I attached the battery back to the solenoid, and something started smoking. Another time with a different combination of wires on each side I was able to turn the car over myself but it wouldn't actually start. And the last time My buddy sprayed some starting fluid, and I attempted turning my car over. It continued turning over when I removed the keys from the ignition and I ended up having to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. So my question is, What wires go on which sides of the solenoid?

Sheperd69

Put all the fusible links on side of the relay terminal coming from the battery positive post and the other big cable on the other side of the relay. On the small wires -check for power on it while key is at cranking position -that goes to the S terminal and other small goes to the I-which is the igniton bypass circuit

THE BOTTOM PORTION OF THIS POST MIGHT AID YOU

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1992-ford-ranger-wont-start

THE SMOKIN', MAY NEED FURTHER ATTENTION...THIS POST ALSO SORTA EXPLAINS "FUSIBLE LINKS"

HOPE IT'S GOING WELL