VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH PROBLEM

1973 Volkswagen Beetle • 235,000 miles

My 1973 VW Beetle's brake lights stay illuminated after the car is switched off. Have changed the brake light switch. Replaced brake cylinders, replaced brake pipes. What could be the problem and how can I repair it?
Andrejon

There should be 2 switches connected at the Brake Master Cylinder.

2 wire brake light switches or 3 wire switches?

The switches should only get power when the Key is in the ON position. Sounds like there is a wiring problem (supplying
power when they should not be getting power AND the switches are probably not wired correctly.

Do the pressure switches have Harness Plugs attached to them or is it individual wires with connectors?

Thomas

Exovcds
Yes it has n harness plug and it only has one swich. After 1972 they come out with just one switch. What is strange is that if you pull the break peddal a little forward then the lights goes off. What could that be.

Andrejon
'73 in my catalog shows 2 switches: Doesn't matter. If the lights go out when the brake pedal is pulled towards the seat, then try adjusting the "free Play" in the
pedal.

I believe it is a 14 or 15mm nut that is adjusted on the Brake Master Cylinder Push Rod (that is attached to the brake
pedal.

Like I said though. The lights should only work when the key is ON. So there is still a power issue. Power wire for brake
light switch(es) attached to wrong terminal on fuse box.

Thomas

Exovcds