CAR WON'T RUN WHEN PUT INTO DRIVE

1973 International Scout • V8 4WD Automatic • 90 miles

I replaced a broken point type distributor with a new electronic distributor. Engine starts and runs smooth but when shifting auto transmission into gear engine dies. Is the problem in timing or vacuum or carburetor?
Gp71

What did the new distributor timing set up say, did you do this as per instructions?

Mhpautos
The new distributor did not have any instructions for setup, but looking over similar models I set the timing to 5 btdc.

Gp71
What is the base idle in park like? If set to low the extra load of selecting drive will cause a stall condition.

Mhpautos
Idle was set to 700-900, a little about spec. A couple of days ago reved engine up to over a 1000 rpm and put trans into drive, tore the drive shaft into two pieces. Now looking for another drive shaft and more troubleshooting. Trans and rear end ok because I can push the Scout anywhere I want.

Gp71