FORD F-100 CHOKE PROBLEM

1973 Ford F-100 • 100 miles

My friend has a 73 F-100, FE block (360) w/ a Motorcraft 2150 2bbl. It wasn't running right; missing, etc. On cold start-up, so I cleaned and re-gapped the plugs, two of which were fouled, checked plug wire resistance, set the idle air mixture, and properly gapped the points. The choke was set correctly, so when I mashed the accelerator to set the choke, it fired right up when I bumped the starter. However, when you tip into the throttle, it starts loading up, missing and backfiring. Does this sound like a problem with carburetion?
Scotty8449

You need to set the choke pulloff for the correct angle so the motor can breather correctly.

It is acting as if the choke is engaged, however the choke is set correctly- it pulls completely open within about 5 min, and the problem is only occurring when the choke butterfly is wide open. Could this problem occur if the accelerator pump diaphragm is ruptured and leaking?

Scotty8449
Power valve may be the issue if it happens hot.

Duh! Thank you, Roy! I don't know why I didn't think about that. I used to turn wrenches for Ford back in the early '90's (back in the EEC-IV days) but I haven't had the pleasure of wrenching on an early '70's Ford in years. Just goes to show if you don't use it you lose it. Thank you again- I replaced the power valve and it runs perfectly now. I appreciate your help!

Scotty8449
Nice job