DODGE CHARGER TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

1973 Dodge Charger • 89,000 miles

I have a 1973 Dodge Charger SE with a 400Ci engine and a 727 transmission I think the neutral saftey switch is bad. When I first got the car it would not start in park and I had to put it in neutral now The column gear shift acts as if I can not get it in park or neutral and it won' start at all. How do I install the netural safety switch?

"The column gear shift acts as if I can not get it in park or neutral".

Does that mean the shift lever doesn't feel right? I don't know what you're describing, but if something is wrong with the linkage, that can be why the transmission isn't going into park. The neutral safety switch is on the transmission so it will be affected by a problem with the linkage.

Things to look for include a collapsed left engine mount, collapsed transmission mount, rust on the frame rail where the linkage pivots between the frame and bracket on the transmission, and a loose bracket on the transmission.