IS THIS ENGINE JUNK OR WORTH WORKING ON

1972 Ford F-250

Recently aquired a 72 f250 with the 390 engine. Was told "it was running when parked 5 years ago". I was taking all the precautions (changing fluids, soaking tops of cylinders through plug holes, changing filters etc.) And when I pulled the plugs they had rust on them, then when I drained the oil I got about 5 quarts of water and 2 quars of sludge. Also when I pulled the carburator the intake manafold was quite rusty. Should I chunk the engine?
Chadeastin

Wow. It sounds like it is done, but that isn't always the case. Is the engine free turning?

I am soaking the cylinders (through the plug holes) with lubricating oil, and tomorrow I will be trying to turn it over with a breaker bar. Also, there is no green (antifreeze) it was clear water. I did rinse the motor off with the hose, but was careful to seal the carburator with plastic.

Chadeastin
Are you in an area that freezes? Also, have you checked freeze plugs?

As far as the engine, the 390 was a work horse. It would be nice to save it, but it may cost too much. If it isn't locked up, I would put clean oil in it with a new filter and some good gas to see if it will run. Chances are it will. The determining factor will be if you have any rod or bearing knock. Expect to hear lifter noise for a short while.

Let me know what you find.

I havent checked the freeze plugs, I will do that. I live in Oklahoma and we do get a good freeze every winter, however the guy did drain the coolant at some point in time. I will try to get it started tomorrow and see what happens. Thank you for your help.

Chadeastin
Oh yeah, is the rust in the intake manafold going to hurt anything when I start it?

Chadeastin
Take compressed air and try to blow out the intake as best you can. The rust isn't going to help, but it shouldn't hurt too much as long as there isn't a ton of it.

Let me know how you make out.

Engine is deffinetly seazed. I am thinking about pooring diesel or karosene into the cylinders. I guess the next thing is to chunk the thing. Would it even be worth trying to rebuild? Thank you for your advice.

Chadeastin
I was afraid of that. Try PB blaster in the cylinders. If it has a standard trans, try rocking it in 4 gear.