CRANKS BUT NO START

1970 Pontiac Catalina • V8 2WD Automatic • 43,867 miles

My car cranks but wont start I changed my fuel pump but I think it is a fuel pump in the tank also or its there to check the level of the fuel but I am not getting any fuel
Antione

The only pump is on the engine. If the car sat for a while, such as over winter, fuel may have evaporated out of the line down to the pump. It may be necessary to pour a little into the carburetor to get the engine started. It will run only for a few seconds each time you do that but it's that higher engine speed that's necessary to get the pump to start pulling fuel from the tank. Once it's primed, it will continue to supply fuel normally.

If the car is rusty, also look for pinholes in the fuel line along the frame rail. That will make the pump draw air instead of fuel.

Thanks for the response I will try it

Antione
I added fuel to the carb and tried to start it 4 times but still no start

Antione
Have you checked for spark?

No it does not have spark

Antione
Ahah! Check for voltage on the ignition coil with the ignition switch turned on. You should find full battery voltage on the positive terminal. If you find 0 volts, turn the engine a little by hand or by tapping the starter. There WILL be 0 volts when the breaker points are closed. When they open, the 12 volts should be there.