MY KEY TURNS TO THE POINT WHERE IT SHOULD BE TRYING TO START THE CAR WITH NO RESISTANCE. ITS LIKE ITS MISSING THE MECHANISM INSIDE THE STEERING COLUMN

1970 Ford Torino • 85,000 miles

I just replaced the ingnition lock in my 1970 torino and took it for a test drive. I shut the car off and gassed up, when I went to start the car back up my key went from accessory all the way forard without and sort of resistance at all. My wipers and heater and turn signals were not working on the test drive, which I found odd. When I was messing around with the key trying to get it to work the heater would randomly come on along with the turn signal. I think I need a new ignition switch but I really wanted some expertise in the area. Thank you for your time
Dave
70torinodc

I forget what style these have if this is a dash ignition switch, the switch may be bad as well as the wireing at the back of the switch. Ford used to make a small harness for this which is spliced into the wires and plugs into the switch. I still have a cople in my tool box lol. If this is a steering column switch then check to make srue the rod is connected to the switch. And then check for a bad switch.