1970 Dodge Coronet • V8 2WD Automatic •

I have a 1970 dodge with a 318 v8. I've heard 2 things; in order to change the single barrel carb to a double barrel, I need to change the intake also. The other i've heard is; the only way a single barrel carb could sit on a 318 is thru an adapter. Just remove the adapter and the new dbl barrel carb will fit naturally. Which is correct?
June 21, 2011.

First is correct second way not.

Jun 21, 2011.
Hi guys. The 318 only came with a 2 barrel carburetor, never a 1 barrel, and never a 4 barrel until the late '70s on a couple of models. The 340 only came with a 4 barrel. That intake manifold and carburetor will fit on the 318 and 360. The 360 came with either the 2 barrel or the 4 barrel and all of those intakes are interchangeable.

Are you sure someone put a dinky one barrel on your 318? The two barrel carb can be misidentified because it has a single opening that the air filter sits on, but if you look down inside you see two streams of fuel when you move the throttle. My suspicion is you have a two barrel and are trying to put a four barrel on it. They make aftermarket four barrel manifolds, otherwise, look for one from a 340 or 360.

Jun 21, 2011.