REPLACED STEERING CYLINDER AND ADDED NEW LINES

1968 Mercury Cougar • 67,000 miles

Recently my steering pressured line blew as it had a crack, so I purchased and replaced those lines plus the cylinder because some of the lines to/from the cylinder were heavly rusted onto it.

I thought that I did these replacements correctly plus turned the steering wheel several times to rid the lines of air. However, when the engine is turn on and the steering wheel is touched, even slightly, it goes crazy and beging moving eractically, turning left and right by itself, although the front wheels remain straight ahead. This scares me enough to turn the engine off!

Did I miss a crucial step while replacing these items?

Did I incorrectly connect the hoses on the cylinder to the wrong connections?

What is up with this "processed" steering wheel?

Any help. Including photos. Step by step correction instructions will be greatfully appreciated.
Cougar302

Sounds like you put the hoses on backwards. Change them around at the cylinder and re try it.

AMAZING! It was just that, a simple solution but also a good learning experience. The info you provided made yesterdays "Fathers Day" that much special.

Thank you very much & God Bless!

Cougar302