I NEED HELP WITH DRIVE TRAIN ISSUES I BELIEVE MY CLUTCH OR TRANSMISSION WAS IMPROPERLY INSTALLED

1968 Chevrolet Camaro

I just had an engine custom built. The block is a 1987+ 5.7L sbc 350 it is stroked to a 383 the transmission is a t56 6 speed manual the clutch is a centerforce dual friction clutch. I'm trying to rotate the crankshaft by hand to tdc in order to install the distributor. The crankshaft won't rotate even with a breaker bar and I'm afraid of snapping the bolt in the end of the crankshaft. I suspect that I must have installed the clutch or transmission incorrectly however I have never tried to rotate the crank while the motor and trans were not connected. As a sidenote the thing that makes me believe my clutch/trans is incorrectly installed is when I'm in neutral the car rolls freely however if the car is in gear and I have someone push the clutch in the car still won't roll. This leads me to believe the clutch isn't working properly.
Needshelpbad

A couple other details: this is a hydraulic transmission, and I also reused my stock throw out bearing as I had no previous problems with it and the techs at summit racing told me that it was compatible with this centerforce clutch kit.

Needshelpbad
One other side note. I DONT have any spark plugs in the block. Just thought I'd add that before someone has to ask it : )

Needshelpbad
Ther is something locking it up if you cannot turn it with the plugs out.

If you jack up the rear wheels, does it turn?

There may be a clutch fault here. You may have to remove the trans to see what is going on inside.

The pressure plate may be engaged stopping the motor from turning

I know that when the clutch was installed there was absolutely no space between the clutch disc and the pressure plate and also no room between the disc and the flywheel. Is this the way it's supposed to be or would that be what you're speaking of when you said the pressure plate may be engaged?

Needshelpbad
Yes, the motor should free wheel in neutral without clutch pushed in.

That much it does. With the transmission in neutral I can easily push the car back and forth no problem but when the vehicle is in gear and the clutch is pushed all the way to the floor the vehicle will not free wheel.

Needshelpbad
You have clutch issues. The trans will have to come out and see what is going on.

Does the motor turn when in neutral?

I HAD SOME BUDDIES OVER

WHEN I WENT IN FOR CHOW FOR 20 MINUTES OR SO

THEY DECIDED TO "HELP" ON MY 1946 L-134 (FLATHEAD) JEEP ENGINE, ON AN ENGINE STAND

I HAD JUST PREVIOUSLY CHECKED ALL OF MY CLEARANCES W/ "PLASTIGAUGE"

ALL OF THE MAIN CAPS WERE REMOVED AND IN ORDER, MY CLEARANCES WERE GREAT! I WAS IN THE PROCESS OF SCRAPING OFF THE "MUSHED" PLASTIGAUGE. WHEN THEY SHOWED UP. AND I WAS CALLED FOR CHOW

WHEN I RETURNED, ALL OF THE CAPS WERE INSTALLED. SO I RECHECKED "THEIR TORQUES". THEY'RE REALLY GOOD GUYS AND KNOW THEY'RE STUFF TOO!

THE CRANK WOULD NOT TURN!

AFTER INVESTIGATION, I FOUND OUT THE REAR CAP WAS NOT SEATED PROPERLY. THEIR ATTEMPT TO "CRANK IT DOWN ANYWAY" RESULTED IN BENDING
THE CAP

THEY DID GET IT SEATED WITH SOME HAMMER PERSUATION---BUT THE DAMAGE WAS DONE

THIS WAS MY LUCKY DAY!

REBUILD MY ENGINES AT LEISURE, WHILE STILL DRIVING THE VEHICLE (ENGINE ON THE STAND IS A 2ND ENGINE). THIS LET'S ME DO A FAST ENGINE SWAP OVER THE WEEKEND. WHEN THE OTHER IS READY. DOWN TIME IS MINIMIZED.I REMEMBER EXACTLY WHERE STUFF GOES BACK. INSTEAD OF MY RIG BEING TORN APART FOR WEEKS!

SO.I DROPPED THE PAN ON "WILLY", SNATCHED HIS REAR MAIN. INSTALLED IT ON THE OTHER ENGINE

. BELIEVE IT OR NOT, PLASTIGAUGE CONFIRMED IT WAS A PERFECT FIT

I THOUGHT I WAS GONNA HAVE TO HAVE THE WHOLE THING LINE BORED. SO FAR, AFTER 12 YEARS OR SO, MY REAR MAIN HAS BEEN FINE

MY ORIGINAL ENGINE WILL HAVE TO BE LINE BORED. UNLESS I SWAP THE CAP BACK ONTO IT. BUT HOPEFULLY THAT'S GONNA BE A LONG TIME FROM NOW

SEE IF YOUR WILL TURN BY HAND (WRENCH/SOCKET) IN NEUTRAL

No it will not turn over in neutral either

Needshelpbad
REMOVE THE STARTER

CAN YOU TURN THE CRANKSHAFT AT LEAST ONE FULL REVOLUTION.2 REVOLUTIONS?

Page 1 of 2