WORKING ON A 68 CADILAC CONV. ON THE REAR PASS WINDOW IS DOWN ( NOT OPERATING . POWER AT THE SWITCH BUT CAN'T GET TO THE MOTOR TO TEST IT. HOW DO I REMOVE THE WINDOW MOTOR TO TEST OR REPLACE IT ??

1968 Cadillac Deville • 15,000 miles

I checked the power sorce at the driver door & at the rear window switck both have power but I can't get to the motor to test it. How do I remove the window motor?
Tony-T

The panel has to be removed. You can jump the connector to see if the motor is bad. Most likely, it is the motor. I would have another ready to replace it.

Thanks for your help Roy. I mainly want to know how to remove the window motor from the veh. Do I remove it with the track attached & is there enough room to remove it from the top? I was able to get the window up by jumping power at the plug & pulling the window up an inch at a time.

Tony-T
Wont come out the top. The good news is that the old cars are bolted in and can be removed from the regulator in the car. Remove the inner panel. The window does have to be up and make sure you support it when you remove the motor.

Plug the new motwindowesyoull need to remove the rear bench then remove the panel. Then check or in and ground the motor housing on the door push the the voltage at the motor from the switch. Try tapping the motor and try to get the window up. If no remove the motor from the window regulater and push the window all the way up than use wide masking tape to hold it in place. Knock the centers of the large revets out with a punch. Drill them out then. Then remove the regulater and motor in one piece. Replace the motor then reinsall it. Use bolts to replace the rivets with locking nuts.

Cadieman
To make sure its the motor. Plug the new motor and ground the motor housing. It should run both ways or it not the motor. Sorry the last message got send to soon

Cadieman