FORD MUSTANG DISTRIBUTOR PROBLEM

1966 Ford Mustang • 120,000 miles

Water temp gauge, changed sender 2 times, have voltage at wire at sender, if I ground wire the gauge goes to hot, sometimes the gauge will come up a little sometimes not. Coolant temp at radiator is 190 degrees

WAS THE SENDER SWAP----THE SAME BRAND?----OR DIFFERENT FROM 2 DIFFERENT STORES?

Yes they were from different stores. Gauge pegs to the low side when key is turned off, but goes up to c when engine is running and warm

Johnnyc1
Maybe I need to calibrate gauge to start at c?

Johnnyc1
NO SCREWY WITH GAUGE UNLESS YOU ARE GONNA CHANGE IT

DO THIS TEST

TAKE THE WIRE LOOSE FROM THE SENDER--STICK A NAIL OR SOMETHING INTO THE CONNECTOR (EVEN A JUMPER WIRE W/ ALLIGATOR CLIPS)

GROUND THE NAIL (ETC) TO A GOOD GROUND

TURN THE KEY ON

DOES THE GAUGE RISE TO THE TOP END OF THE SCALE?

Yes when I ground wire from sender the gauge will rise to the end of the scale. But when I turn key off it goes as far to the left as it can go.

Johnnyc1
YOU MIGHT FIND THAT AT "13 MINUTES" OR SO IN. THIS SORTA GETS INTERESTING

(I HAVE NOT FULLY WATCHED IT)

I WAS REALLY LOOKING FOR ONE THAT SHOWS "OHM READINGS" AT DIFFERENT TEMPS AS YOU HEAT THE SENDER

ON MY CJ 5 I'VE HAD A HECK OF A TIME FINDING A SENDER THAT OPERATES THE GAUGE CORRECTLY---THE ONE I FINALLY WOUND UP WITH, WAS FROM "NAPA"

YOU MUST BE CAREFUL WHEN PLAYING WITH THE WIRES FOR THE GAUGE......THEY FRY VERY EZily!!!!

MAYBE WE CAN FIND YOU SOMETHING TO TEST YOUR GAUGE BY

THIS LINK IS FOR A JEEP CJ (MY KINDA STUFF) I HAVE 2---A '77 CJ5 AND A '46 WILLYS.......PREVIOUSLY 5 OTHER CJ5s........NEVER ANYTHING ELSE SINCE I STARTED DRIVING ON THE ROAD IN '81

http://home.roadrunner.com/ john.strenk/Gauge%20web%20page/CJSpeedometerGaugeQuickTest.htm

SURELY WITH A 'STANG, THERE HAS TO BE A LINK LIKE MINE

STILL USING POINTS? (UNRELATED TO YOUR GAUGE)

I will check ohms from sender tomorrow, When I purchased car I did find schematic for gauge panel & the wires on the temp gauge were hooked up backwards, not sure if that could have caused a problem in gauge?

Johnnyc1
Yes still have points : (

Johnnyc1
THE INCORRECT HOOK UP MAY HAVE FRIED SOMETHINGON A JEEP CJ, IT WOULD BE THE "CVR" OR CONSTANT VOLTAGE REGULATOR, LOCATED INSIDE THE FUEL GAUGE. BUT ALSO OPERATES THE TEMP GAUGE

WHAT IT IS (IN A CJ) IT WORKS MUCH LIKE A TRANSFORMER TO LOWER THE 12 VOLTS TO 5.5 OR SO FOR THE GAUGE

BETTER STILL, IT CUTS OFF AND ON ALL THE TIME LIKE AN OLD STYLE VOLTAGE REGULATOR (PROBABLY LIKE WHAT RUNS YOUR ALTERNATOR). JUST A TEENY TINY VERSION OF IT

I DON'T KNOW HOW YOURS WORKS EXACTLY.I WILL AID YOU ALL ALONG. AND LEARN TOO. WE NEED TO FIND "TESTS" FOR YOUR GAUGES USING AN OHM METER AND THE GAUGES TOTALLY DISCONNECTED FROM ALL WIRES

POINTS NO MORE!

THIS IS SO EZ TO INSTALL

I CAN FIND YOU THE LEAST EXPENSIVE ONE AVAILABLE ONLINE. MAY NEED YOUR DISTRIBUTOR # AND ENGINE SIZE--ANY OTHER STUFF I MIGHT NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE CAR

WILL NOT HAVE TO RUN WIRES ALL OVER!----YOU MAY HAVE TO DISABLE A BALLAST RESISTOR, IF YOU HAVE ONE IN THE LINE. NO BIGGIE.I MADE A FEW MORE PICS OF THE PROCESS

THEY MAKE THESE SPECIFIC TO DISTRIBUTORS---THIS IS FOR MY '46 WILLYS

I BOUGHT THEIR COIL TOO.I WANTED TO INSURE THAT EVERYTHING WORKED IN UNISON

I CAN REVERSE IT BACK TO POINTS IN ABOUT 10 OR SO MINUTES (I HAVE THE OLD STUFF IN A ZIP LOCK--ON BOARD!). SHOULD SOMETHING GO WRONG

"WILLY" RUNS SO MUCH BETTER NOW!

DO YOU WANT MORE INFO ON THIS?

MISSED ONE PIC I MEANT TO SEND