HORSE POWER

1965 Chevrolet Impala • V8 Automatic •

Is there somewhere I can go online to find out how much hp my motor puts out? Its a small block chevy 283 in a 65 impala 2bb.
Cevans

It's 195HP @ 4800RPM and 285 Ft/Lbs of torques at 2400RPM and a 9.25: 1 Compression ratio.

Wrenchtech
I think I can only be modest when it comes to upgrades for more power. What do you think ideally would intake, carb, cam, headers get me if upgraded from factory?

Cevans
You can't do a whole bunch with a 283. Get an intake and 4BBL for a 327 would do you most good. Maybe some electronic ignition and a good coil too. Headers would help but not a real lot.

Wrenchtech
Roger that. I didnt want to go big block cause I was told it would not be an economic car to drive that oftern due to the gas. However at some point Im not going to really care cause I have to many mustangs in my are and ZI cant wait to get something thats going to run with them.

Cevans
Anytime you make hosrsepower, your mileage goes out the window. If you add carbs, intakes you aregoing to usemore fuel. Headers are the most iimportant horsepower advantage you can add to your car.

There are exceptions to that rule though. When you switch from the 2BBL carb it came with to the Quadrajet, you will actually improve your mileage as long as you don't open the secondaries and drive it normal. The headers would work in your favor as far as fuel mileage also.

Wrenchtech
Sounds good I will be looking into this.

Cevans