’53 MGTD: SHE CHOKES DOWN WHEN I ACCELERATE...

1961 MG TD • 38,000 miles

’53 MGTD: She suddenly quit on me, Simply refused to start one morning w/NO prior warning. I had driven about 15 on a new refill of petrol. (Hmmm) Narrowed problem down to the carbs and took her to a mechanic, who informed me that she needed new "needles and seats, which I ordered from Moss. She would then start. However, when I accelerated she 'choked down' (lost power). After 2 days and 4 or 5 short 6 mile trips she is gradually getting worse. In that she chokes down to a greater degree and more quickly. Definitely a fuel problem. Please advise. Bill in Atlantic Beach, FL
Pw4615

I would look at the fuel filter and probably replace it. Also run a can or two of good fuel system cleaner like BG44K, available only through dealerships but it is the best, or SEA FOAM. Gas turns to varnish quickly and that is what damaged your needles and seats. You may have loosened other contaminants that are blocking the fuel jets or holes in the jet towers. You may have to take the carbs partially apart and spray them out with carb cleaner.