2006 Chrysler Town and Country Rough Running P2308 code, Co

Tiny
DJS789
  • 2006 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
  • 6 CYL
  • 2WD
  • AUTOMATIC
  • 100,000 MILES
I have a 2006 Chrysler Town and Country 3.3l. The check engine light is on and I am getting P2308 error code. The Parts store print out says this is an erratic signal from the ignition coil secondary circuit.
The probable causes are:
1. Faulty spark plug or coil boot or 2. Failed ignition coil.
The van is running rough, Has a rough idle, Hesitation, Sputtering, Excessive engine vibration.
I replaced the spark plug wires a month ago. I replaced the coil and the spark plugs today.
The van is still running rough any suggestions?
Monday, July 19th, 2010 AT 5:13 PM

7 Replies

Tiny
JACOBANDNICKOLAS
  • MECHANIC
  • 108,200 POSTS
I want you to try a little trick. Something tells me there is still a problem (most likely) with the ignition wires. Wait until it is dark, open the hood, start the engine, then mist water on all ignition components to see if anything is arcing. In the dark, you will be able to see anything that is going on.

It sounds simple, but it works. Let me know what you find.

Joe
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, July 19th, 2010 AT 11:55 PM
Tiny
DJS789
  • 5 POSTS
Thanks. I tried this last night. I didn't see anything. It was good and dark. I would have thought if there was any arcing it would have lit up the engine compartment in places hard to see.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 6:48 AM
Tiny
DJS789
  • 5 POSTS
Update:
I checked for arcing at night. No arcing. I rechecked and set gaps on the new plugs I put in.

The p2308 code is an error in the ignition coil #3. Coil #3 fires cylinders 2 and 5.
Erased the code. Then I flopped sprk plug wires from another cylinder for the number 2 wire.
I get the same p2308 code come. I did the same with the 5 cylinder wire with the same results.
So I am pretty sure its not the wires, plugs, and coil (which is new).

I checked with a TEST LIGHT the control wires for all three of the coils with the engine running.
Pin #1 (brown/orange wire) control wire for coil #3 LIGHT GLOWS CONSTANT. I think this is wrong.
Pin #4 (dark blue/tan wire) control wire for coil #2 LIGHT FLASHES - I think this is normal.
Pin #3 (dark blue/dark green wire) control wire for coil #1 LIGHT FLASHES - I think this is normal.

Since the control wire glows the wire must not be bad or grounded. I think the pcm must be bad.
Probably a good bet the computer is bad and should be replaced?

I don't know. Is there anything else I should check? The pcm is expensive. What do you think?

Any suggestions on replaing the computer if you think I should?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 11:56 AM
Tiny
DJS789
  • 5 POSTS
Update:
I traced the non-flashing signal back to the pcm. I may be wrong but I pulled the trigger and ordered a remanned computer. This oufit out of florida sells them for one hundred and fifty bucks on ebay. They program it for your vin and mileage etc. Local autoparts store said its only a dealer part.
Anyway, I will let you know how it goes.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 6:57 PM
Tiny
JACOBANDNICKOLAS
  • MECHANIC
  • 108,200 POSTS
If you traced it back to the PCM and it is constant, it sounds like you are right. It shouldn't be constant power to any of the coils. It should flash like you described.

Let me know if the PCM does the job.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 9:59 PM
Tiny
DJS789
  • 5 POSTS
Update:
I traced a bad coil driver signal going into the coil all the way back to back to the pcm for coil#3. I determined the pcm had a bad coil driver for the #3 coil. I ordered the remanned computer from Auto Computer Exchange in FL.
I installed the new computer. It seems to work. The computer has a lifetime warranty so I think I am golden. Thanks for your help.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Wednesday, July 28th, 2010 AT 9:51 AM
Tiny
JACOBANDNICKOLAS
  • MECHANIC
  • 108,200 POSTS
I'm glad you fixed it. Let us know if you have questions in the future.

Joe
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Wednesday, July 28th, 2010 AT 10:33 PM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Sponsored links