Auto tech reaching out for help new BCM set up com.

Tiny
24BANSHEE24
  • OLDSMOBILE ALERO
  • 4 CYL
  • FWD
  • AUTOMATIC
  • 88,018 MILES
I am new to this site just need to pick some one elses brain need outside view I must be over looking something right in front of my face please help I have a 2003 olds alero 2.2 l car came in shop on a hook with no start issue no power door locks no radio no interior light start and die like a theft relearn issue like I have had many times on these cars another tech who is no longer at shop first diagnosed it as a bcm issue put a new bcm in car can not get tech 2 to comunicate my real question is the purple serial data link wire has a pulse should this wire be pulsing or should it be steady it goes to the radio then to the ipc and it pulses at all 3 spots we have had this car for 3 weeks now and I cant not figure it out me and two other techs that I brought in from other shops and also with out the bcm being set up should the radio at least power up and my three pass lock wires have no voltage is this because the bcm is not set up or is this part of my prob please help need to get cust there car back we already lost all profit on this one just need to get it right thanks for all ur time and helpin advance I know time is money thanks again brad
Do you
have the same problem?
Yes
No
Wednesday, August 5th, 2009 AT 11:19 PM

4 Replies

Tiny
DOCFIXIT
  • MECHANIC
  • 18,828 POSTS
Hi
Need some basic info. Was there BCM codes when car camein? Could you communicate with old BCM? What type scan tool? Can you communicate with PCM? If yes any codes? Does engine start then shut off in 3-5 sec? Does MIL light key on?Let me know
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Thursday, August 6th, 2009 AT 8:47 AM
Tiny
24BANSHEE24
  • 2 POSTS
Yes I can com. With every thing but bcm such as inst. Cluster pcm trans I am using a tech 2 and a modis both com with all but bcm there was a code for bcm before changing but nobody knows what it is the tech who orignally started the job is no longer with us and I called him and he dont remember either and he left on good terms so its not like that as far as if com. Was avabile before we replaced bcm I would b lying to tell u one thing I am going to check tom. Is if data wire coming out of other modules has a pulse or steady power and also I check my powers and ground coming out of bcm and they r there I believe there is 5 powers so we dont beleive it is the ignition switch one thing my tech was reading on identifix was about the driver side fuse panel haveing corssion
and sure enough this car has major oxidation in the fuse slots bcf fuse which are main powers for the data wire were vey oxidized white chalky on fuses and in terminals so we heard from another shop also that this could be possably the problem but I dont want to drop another 150$ on a fuse panel that is not going to fix it but I tried to take it apart but was unsucessful in doing so yes the car starts and dies as if it was a security issue and no there r no codes any thing else u need to know please ask thanks for ur time so far
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Friday, August 7th, 2009 AT 11:58 PM
Tiny
DOCFIXIT
  • MECHANIC
  • 18,828 POSTS
Hi
Been out of town this weekend just got home Sun afternoon. Will put your problem out to all other Moderators and get you some help. Hang in there you will hear from me on Monday.
Doc
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, August 9th, 2009 AT 2:54 PM
Tiny
DOCFIXIT
  • MECHANIC
  • 18,828 POSTS
Hey try this came from brian1
he has a class 2 communication problem, here is how to check. You have to start by disconnecting each module 1 at a time, when you disconnect the IPC, turn the key on and use the tech 2 and see if you can communicate with class 2, if you can go to the next module, ECM disconnect it see if you can communicate with class 2, if you can go to the next module, keep doing that to each module and the last one disconnected is the one that is to be replaced, also Test the DLC ground circuit terminal 5 for a high resistance or an open. Also Disconnect the Fuse Block-Left I/P connectors that contain the Class 2 serial data circuits. Disconnect the connector containing the Class 2 serial data circuit from the BCM module. Inspect Fuse Block-Left I/P connectors at the terminals containing the Class 2 serial data circuits for poor connections/terminal tension. Test for an open circuit between pin 2 on the DLC connector and the harness connector of the Fuse Block-Left I/P. Test the Class 2 serial data circuit for a short to B+ or a short to ground between the mating connectors terminals integrated into the Fuse Block-Left I/P, that contain the Class 2 serial data circuits. All the modules will be listed with the tech 2, class 2 is sometimes a pain in the exhaust to diagnose.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, August 10th, 2009 AT 9:52 AM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Sponsored links