2002 Toyota Camry 2002 Camry Fault Code P0421

Tiny
TOPHERBRO
  • 2002 TOYOTA CAMRY
  • 4 CYL
  • FWD
  • AUTOMATIC
  • 172,000 MILES
Hey guys. Love the site. I have a 2002 Toyota Camry 4cyl. LE with a check engine light on most of the time. I was able to retain a fault code of P0421. I am pretty sure that the problem is an oxygen sensor, but I am not sure. I have gone months with it blinking on and off. I am getting less gas mileage, but the car seems to run well. It recently started lagging when I press the accelerator after starting. Is the oxygen sensor the likely culprit, and, if so, how difficult is it to buy the part and replace it myself? Thanks.
Sunday, February 8th, 2009 AT 1:25 AM

1 Reply

Tiny
BLUELIGHTNIN6
  • MECHANIC
  • 16,542 POSTS
Hello
Thanks for the compliment.

P0421 Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

The trouble code means that the oxygen sensor is reading that your catalytic converter is no longer operating properly. Either the oxygen sensor(s) is faulty and is giving an incorrect reading or the catalytic converter is faulty. You should have a flow test performed on the cataytic converter to ensure it is performing properly. You can also check your oxygen sensor(s) before replacing them. To learn how to check your oxygen sensor(s), just follow the link below..

https://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_test_oxygen_sensor.htm

If your oxygen sensor(s) is at fault then they are very simple to replace. Simply unscrew and remove. If the converter is clogged or faulty then this, however, will have to be repaired at a muffler shop.

Thanks for using 2CarPros.com!
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, February 8th, 2009 AT 2:11 AM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Sponsored links