1997 Dodge grande Caravan sport 84500 miles

Tiny
SMIKELMAT
  • 1997 DODGE CARAVAN
I am hoping you can please help me this is the only vehicle I own and I am in desprite need of it.

**The gauges and the PRND123 don't work and when I go to start it, it will start but it will stall a few seconds after it starts. Even if I step on the gas to keep it running it still stalls. The radio plays and lights come on also you can here the humming when you turn the ignition key. Please helping in finding the answer to why this is happening. I really dont have the money to bring it to a mechanic. I have also put it on the computer and it isnt pulling up any codes.
any help is very much appreciated. Thanks (P.S this happened the other day and eventually it started and worked for 2 days now it just doesnt work at all.*****) :Cry: : :cry: :cry:
Sunday, June 17th, 2007 AT 11:55 PM

9 Replies

Tiny
SERVICE WRITER
  • MECHANIC
  • 9,123 POSTS
With the ignition off, press and hold TRIP and RESET butons while turning the ignition switch to ON position until odometer widow displys CODE (5 sec). Code numbers may show up, record them and post them.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, June 18th, 2007 AT 6:02 AM
Tiny
SMIKELMAT
  • 5 POSTS
The code that came up when I did that was 9849.1
does this mean anything to you?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, June 18th, 2007 AT 4:51 PM
Tiny
SERVICE WRITER
  • MECHANIC
  • 9,123 POSTS
No idea on that code, there are about six different ones that could have come up, No idea what that one is.

I don't know if this is anti-theft related or performance related. Try a different key for the heck of it. I wish I could help further on this. Maybe check the connector plugs at the pcm and bcm?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, June 18th, 2007 AT 8:09 PM
Tiny
SMIKELMAT
  • 5 POSTS
I just realized a couple minutes ago I made a mistake. That want a code that was 9849.1 trip miles. There wasnt a code that came up when I did that.

I looked a little bit more searching errors and one told me to turn on and off the key 3 times and watch how many times the check ingine light blinks. It read as 22 66 55 the 55 I guess means end of code. Maybe this will help I hope. I called the dealer and of course they want me to bring it in but really do not have the money to do so. I hope maybe this will help a little more. If you have any other advise please let me know and thank you very much for all your help.

I will be watching to see if you have any other suggestions.

Oh also I tried starting it after work tonight and it started and I was able to drive it but the gauges where still funny. They worked but it was like they took a little while to get the message. I just hope that is a code you can use. Thanks again.

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, June 18th, 2007 AT 10:13 PM
Tiny
SERVICE WRITER
  • MECHANIC
  • 9,123 POSTS
Okay, that makes sense. The 22 is the engine coolant temperature sensor voltage too high and or too low. May be a bad sensor, wiring, connector or PCM.

The 66 is a commumication between the BCM and PCM. May be a connector ate either one, a bad pcm a bad bcm, from what I see. It will take some testing with an ohmeter to get through this one.

But we have a start!
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, June 19th, 2007 AT 4:56 AM
Tiny
SMIKELMAT
  • 5 POSTS
Thanks I will keep you posted and let you know what I have found out.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, June 19th, 2007 AT 7:32 AM
Tiny
SERVICE WRITER
  • MECHANIC
  • 9,123 POSTS
From what I learned there is a fair chance of a cluster problem. Try rapping on the dash over the cluster and see if that affects it
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Wednesday, June 20th, 2007 AT 2:52 PM
Tiny
SMIKELMAT
  • 5 POSTS
Thank you right before I read your answer (about the cluster) to the question my husband banged on the dash board and so far so good it has been working ever since.

Thanks

I will let you know if there are any other problems in the futer. Thanks
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, June 25th, 2007 AT 10:06 PM
Tiny
SERVICE WRITER
  • MECHANIC
  • 9,123 POSTS
The cluster probably has two spots on the circuit board. Sometimes they can be re-soldered.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Wednesday, June 27th, 2007 AT 7:35 AM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Sponsored links