1987 Chevy Astro starts then dies

Tiny
RUFFSBREW69
  • 1987 CHEVROLET ASTRO
  • 6 CYL
  • 2WD
  • AUTOMATIC
  • 150,000 MILES
Before I had a problem I put 30.00 gas in it. Gave it half a tank. Drove 5 miles. Then my 87 astro 4.3L auto. Lost power while driving. Did not die. Feathered the gas peddle to get me to a side street. Had it towed hm.I have spark. Oxygen. Fuel pump energizes koeo. But no fuel from injecters. Fuel comes out when trying to start it. Will start tries to fall on its face. Pump pedal to keep it running. Stumbles all over the place. Tries to die. I unplug map vac line. Will idle high w/ strong injector spray. Keep foot on gas peddle. Engine running at 2500 rpms. Then amount of spray drops to like a fine mist. Van then dies. Will not idle for nothing. Helppppp

thanks for ur help. Will
Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 6:12 PM

10 Replies

Tiny
MASTERTECHTIM
  • MECHANIC
  • 4,749 POSTS
Sounds like a tricky one. First unplug the egr valve and tap on top of it to make sure its not stuck up.(Leave is unplugged) I would also check the dist cap and rotor to make sure we dont have a ignition break down.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+2
Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 6:26 PM
Tiny
RASMATAZ
  • MECHANIC
  • 75,992 POSTS
Hi ruffsbrew69 and welcome to 2carpros

If you can see the injectors it tell me its a TBI system

What we need to do here is have the fuel pressure checked out if its within specifications should read 9-13psi

fuel comes out when trying to start it. It means that the injectors are pulsing-opening and closing. The critical point here is it the correct fuel pressure.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+2
Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 6:32 PM
Tiny
ASTROVAN2
  • 5 POSTS
Let me know the cause? The ECM seems to be shutting down the fuel injectors after they start working. I think I have a bad TPS? No trouble codes are being set for the TPS. Fuel pump and pressure reg. Ok
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+3
Tuesday, November 4th, 2008 AT 12:28 PM
Tiny
ASTROVAN2
  • 5 POSTS
My 1988 Astro Van is doing the exact same fuel problem as ruffsbrew69 1987 astro van and I still can't fix it. Is it possible computer problem with no trouble codes being set? Why would the ECM shut down the fuel injectors after they start working after 30 seconds with no trouble codes being set. Appears all sensors are working. Fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel regulator all working ok. Is the ECM programmed to do this after 20 years from manfact. Date? It is exactly when my problem started.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Tuesday, November 4th, 2008 AT 12:57 PM
Tiny
SXFX
  • 3 POSTS
Just wondering has anyone come up with a solution to this. I have a 1988 Astro and it actually just started having the exact same problem as OP stated.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Thursday, November 13th, 2008 AT 8:13 PM
Tiny
ASTROVAN2
  • 5 POSTS
Van computer chip PROM programmed to shut down fuel injectors after 20 years from manufact. Date and show no trouble code 51. Thank GM Corp. Electrical Engineer checked old PROM chip data.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, November 18th, 2008 AT 11:04 AM
Tiny
SXFX
  • 3 POSTS
Are you serious? And if you are what is the fix for this new ECM?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, November 18th, 2008 AT 12:35 PM
Tiny
ASTROVAN2
  • 5 POSTS
Replace PROM with new PROM replacement part from Chevy.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008 AT 11:21 AM
Tiny
SXFX
  • 3 POSTS
JUST an FYI, It was the fuel pump all along. Replaced with a new unit and works like a charm now.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+2
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008 AT 11:41 AM
Tiny
ASTROVAN2
  • 5 POSTS
I replaced the PROM chip and now my engine runs like a charm again. Different problems, different fixes.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008 AT 12:03 PM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Sponsored links