Wipers are not working

JACOBCOMPTON
  • 1987 JEEP CHEROKEE
My windshield wipers are not working. I check the fuse for corrosion. They try to work when I push the knob, so they are getting power. Could the wiring not be on all the way? Could it be the motor? My limited mechanic skills could not get me out of this one.
Thursday, June 1st, 2017 AT 7:03 PM

Two things to look at. First, turn the switch to the "low" or "high" position; not an intermittent setting. Now push on the wiper motor to see if it starts running. Alternately, check for the presence of 12 volts on the metal case of the wiper motor. Be sure your meter's negative probe or your test light's ground clip is on the battery's negative post or on the engine, not on the plate the motor is bolted to.

If you find 12 volts or the motor starts to run, add a jumper wire from the motor to the body.
Friday, June 2nd, 2017 AT 11:45 PM
JACOBCOMPTON
Ok, thanks. I will try that when I get time and get back to you!
Monday, June 5th, 2017 AT 3:46 PM
KEN
Caradiodoc is one of our best

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
Thursday, June 8th, 2017 AT 11:32 AM
JACOBCOMPTON
Yessir, I am a bit busy. I will once school gets out.
Saturday, June 10th, 2017 AT 3:03 PM
JACOBCOMPTON
Do I need to push on the actual motor? Do I need to take the protective plastic off?
Thursday, June 15th, 2017 AT 4:18 PM
Yes, push on the wiper motor. Alternatively, tug up on one of the wiper arms in your photo. That will move the linkage and motor. The most common cause of this problem is an arced ground strap on the motor, and just moving it slightly will momentarily get it going. If it does, there is a simple fix. You can almost get the motor to run temporarily by staring at it hard enough!

When the motor is easily accessible, you can also measure the voltage on the metal case of it. If there is any voltage when the wiper switch is on, that ground strap needs to be repaired.

If moving the motor doesn't work, we'll need to do some voltage measurements to solve the problem.
Thursday, June 15th, 2017 AT 8:25 PM