Where is the fuel filter located and how do I get to it?

ENGWAKEN
  • 1997 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
The car is going fine then sputters and dies. If I wait 15-20 minutes it starts up.
Wednesday, March 2nd, 2016 AT 4:53 PM

Forget the fuel filter. Those typically last the life of the vehicle on Chrysler products, and other than with diesel engines, you'll never solve a running problem by replacing it. They don't cause intermittent problems like you have here anyway. If it's plugged, how can the engine run fine for 20 minutes?

The real common cause of what you're describing is a failing crankshaft position sensor or camshaft position sensor. The clue is you have to check for spark when the engine won't start. If spark is missing, check the diagnostic fault codes to see if it indicates one of those signals is missing.

In the less-likely event you do still have spark, suspect a collapsing fuel strainer inside the gas tank. They commonly become blocked after ten to fifteen miles, then stretch out again and let fuel pass after sitting for a few minutes. Replacements snap onto the fuel pump housing and cost around $12.00. A potential clue to this is the stalling will tend to occur when the largest volume of fuel is being pumped, which is during coasting. It will run okay at sustained highway speeds and when accelerating. This clue only pertains to engines that have the fuel pressure regulator on the engine, not in the tank.
+2
Wednesday, March 2nd, 2016 AT 6:32 PM