What is an overhaul or half overhaul

DANMAC
  • 1997 MITSUBISHI LANCER
Hi

can you give information about overhaul or half overhaul
and what parts should be replaced

D.
Tuesday, April 8th, 2014 AT 2:31 AM

What part are you talking about? Most commonly that refers to rebuilding an engine or transmission. Major assemblies are typically reused unless there is excessive wear or damage. With engines, pistons are reused unless the cylinders need to be bored larger to remove scoring or other damage. New piston rings and engine bearings are always installed. All the gaskets come as a set for each specific engine. Crankshafts and camshafts may be reused if they're okay, but they get replaced if needed. That adds to the cost of the rebuild. In that respect, every rebuild is different. The majority of the cost goes toward labor. Most shops remove and reinstall the engine or transmission, but they take them to specialty shops to have the machine work and reassembly done by the experts.

I never heard the term "half overhaul", but if I had to guess, they are referring to a major repair. An engine or transmission that gets a major repair still is considered to have 190,000 miles on it. A rebuilt unit, for all practical purposes, starts over with 0 miles. The goal of a total rebuild is to produce a finished engine or transmission that is just like new and can be expected to last just as long as the original one did.
Tuesday, April 8th, 2014 AT 5:38 PM