What do you think about the design of this car?

• 3 POSTS
  • RWD
  • 10 MILES

Frankly speaking I have no issues with this car, I just want your suggestions that what do you think about the design of this car?

Tuesday, June 28th, 2016 AT 1:17 AM

If you are thinking of buying it, you are probably asking the wrong people. Design, as far as interior layout of controls or outside body styling is up to you to like or not like.

In the past Cadillac has been the brand that GM used to put their latest ideas into production for customers to drive and see how it holds up. Take the Northstar engines, for example. Those were a disaster that could have been caught with more factory testing, but they left the testing up to the buyers.

Fit and finish is better today on all car brands than even twenty years ago. Ride quality is also much-improved on even small, lightweight cars.

I have two personal beefs with new cars. One is due to my background in tv / vcr repair and car repair, all I saw were those that were broken, and the vast majority of problems were caused by the inappropriate use of technology. There is no denying there are a lot of neat features available, but while interior lights that fade out slowly have a big "wow" factor, that's little consolation when those lights do not work because the $500.00 Body Computer has failed. We used to have a simple switch turn on a ten-dollar relay to honk the horn. That circuit worked surprisingly well for almost 100 years, but the engineers felt the need to solve some unknown problem. Today, on Fords, the switch sends a voltage signal to the most complicated computer, the instrument cluster. That interprets the voltage as "horn request" and sends a digital signal to the "FEM", (Front Electronic Module), which interprets that and turns on the relay to honk the horn! Now a dead horn is no longer a $30.00 repair. It is $800.00.

Chrysler has been the leader in innovations that directly benefit car owners. GM has been the leader in innovations that benefit GM. They perfected computer modules that have to be purchased from their dealers and programmed to the car by them. They are trying to squeeze out the independent repair shops. That is okay if you can afford to buy a new car every few years, but what if it breaks down when you're out-of-town on a weekend?

I could go on and on about all the tricks GM has developed to separate you from your money after the sale. If that does not concern you, that is okay, but you also have to consider the trade-in value if you are going to trade when it needs a very expensive repair. Other manufacturers copied Chrysler's innovations, like the alternator, electronic voltage regulator, electronic ignition, feedback carburetor, anti-lock brakes, air bags, lock-up torque converter, computer-controlled transmission, (and a gollyzillion cupholders)! Unfortunately other manufacturers also tend to copy GM's ideas to increase their profits with little regard to how it affects their customers.

You might also pay attention to how extremely high-pressure the GM salespeople are compared to those at any other dealerships, import dealerships in particular.

I realize this probably isn't the answer you were looking for, but we really do not get involved with this type of question here. You might look through the list of questions that have been asked in the past to get an idea of the types of problems people need help with. In the past, a Plymouth was a bare-bones car. You could add options, or you could just buy the Dodge version and get those options automatically. If you wanted more options, you bought the Chrysler.

Chevrolet was GM's Plymouth. To get a little more goodies, you bought the Pontiac. If you really needed to spend more money, you bought the Cadillac. Underneath they were all basically the same car, and they all moved you from where you were to where you wanted to be. The biggest difference today is you definitely won't be fixing your own car, and you can expect to spend two monthly car payments on repairs each year.

As far as the incident of repairs and types of problems, if any, that you can expect, it is too early to tell on such a new model. They change so much now from year to year. Often a new model is plagued with design problems. After a few years they get all the bugs worked out, then they drop it and come out with something new because the marketing geniuses have the designers convinced we want something new every year. Just look at all the Nissan Murano copycats out there today. Every manufacturer has a vehicle now that looks like a frog. Does not say much for the imagination of the designers if they all have to copy each other's ugly designs to see who can out-do each other!

You did not really elaborate on what kind of information you were looking for, but I still managed to share more than you wanted to know.

Tuesday, June 28th, 2016 AT 2:06 AM