Broken water pump bolt removal

MESHELLE MAXWELL
  • 2002 KIA RIO
How can I remove a broken water pump bolt in the block? There is not enough room to use a drill.
Saturday, January 6th, 2018 AT 7:06 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi Meshelle,

For such situations, the only way to go about is to make sufficient room for the drill and it might mean raising or lowering the engine, ie, with engine mounts removed. Worse case is either to lift engine either partially or fully out of vehicle.

If there is still a short piece of stud sticking out and hopefully the broken stud is not fused due to rust. You might still be able to remove it with a pointed punch and hammer.

Tap the stud to try to make it turn anticlockwise and if it can move, then continue until you get sufficient grip with a grip pliers to remove. When tapping, do not hit hard, just gentle taps to vibrate the stud to move.

Good luck.
+1
Saturday, January 6th, 2018 AT 9:46 PM
MESHELLE MAXWELL
Thank you but he tried ez out and it busted in block also now he now made it smooth on top to the block now should he do what u suggested
Sunday, January 7th, 2018 AT 7:07 PM
KHLOW2008
If the broken cannot be removed then it has to be drilled out and rethreaded to enable proper installation of the water pump. All bolts must be installed failing which it would result in coolant leakage.

He has to find a way of getting the broken piece out.
Monday, January 8th, 2018 AT 2:00 AM
If nothing else works, I have a possible solution, but it requires an acetylene torch, a wire-feed welder, and room to get in there with them. A propane torch will not work as it does not get hot enough. I will check back tomorrow to see if you made progress.
Monday, January 8th, 2018 AT 2:02 AM
MESHELLE MAXWELL
  • 2002 KIA RIO
He tried an ez out but it now broke. He got it to a smooth surface on the block should he do what you told him?
Monday, January 8th, 2018 AT 3:45 PM (Merged)
Opening a new question starts a new conversation. No one knows what you are referring to, so they cannot help or give advice. You need to reply to your original post. There is a link in the automated e-mail message that will take you right there.
HEYMAN1104
Here is the original thread. As suggested above, please use it to reply as it simplifies things for everyone.

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/water-pump-31026253
RENEE
I merged both questions together so that everyone is on the same page. Thank you HEYMAN1104.

Renee
Monday, January 8th, 2018 AT 3:52 PM