2005 Volvo XC90 check transmission fluid

TNJ
  • 2005 VOLVO XC90
I have not had the transmission fluid checked in this vehicle. How can I do it? I looked in the owner's manual but there is no information regarding this.
Wednesday, May 13th, 2009 AT 9:58 PM

JIS001
What size engine do you have? If it is a 5 cylinder then the dipstick is located towards the front of the transmission but you may need to remove the air tube going into the airfilter box and is below the turbo pipe cooler hose. It is hard to reach in there and it gets very hot down there.
Thursday, May 14th, 2009 AT 8:54 PM
THUYJO
It is a 5 cylinder. I called the dealership and was told the car was designed to have transmission fluid check done by a professional therefore no instruction in the manual. My car is due for an oil change, so I'll have it checked at the same time.

The reason I wanted to check transmission fluid was because the car started to act differently. When trying to go from stopped or parked it feels like as if the parking brake is on, but it's not on. Then on an uphill incline in a parking garage trying to go up from a stopped position it almost didn't want to go. It seems better now. Haven't tried stopping and going on an up hill yet. Any feedback or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
+1
Saturday, May 16th, 2009 AT 3:02 PM
JIS001
Is this an all wheel drive vehicle? Also you mentioned it feels like the parking brake is on? So when you try and accelerate your vehicle will not move or do you feel like the rear tires are dragging? Or does your RPM go really high as if you were in neutral?
+3
Sunday, May 17th, 2009 AT 5:14 PM
THUYJO
My car is front wheel drive. It's both; like the car was dragging, and I had to put more pressure on my gas pedal than normal so the RPM went up too. In the parking garage last week trying to go from stopped on an uphill it almost didn't want to go forward. After it went forward I could still feel it dragging, and the engine was louder than normal.

It seems back to normal now, except maybe I can hear the engine more than usual. And I haven't tried going after stopping on an uphill again yet.
Monday, May 18th, 2009 AT 10:17 AM