1988 Volvo 740 Fuel Consumption Problem (12 miles/gal)

AEM7
  • 1988 VOLVO 740
1988 Volvo 740 non-Turbo 242,000 miles.

I just bought this car and don't know the repair history on it. The car is doing about 12 miles per gallon and about 180 miles on one tank of gas in a mixed urban/highway driving environment. I checked the tyre pressure and they were reading 35-40 psi.

I googled it and found the manual at VLVworld.com.
http://www.vlvworld.com/indexframe.html?VolvoRepairManual/Section_0_2_engine.htm
I smelled the Fuel Pressure Regulator vacuum line as described, and that seemed normal (i.e. no fuel smell). I wasn't equipped to perform any of the other tests.

Took it to a mechanic and he said he's gonna replace the fuel filter (which was apparently rusted out and old) and that might fix the problem. I did ask him to run some of the tests suggested on that webpage -- he seemed confused and asked me why I thought those things needed checking.

Can anyone suggest anything else I should be checking? Is 12 miles/gal normal for Volvo gas mileage? The EPA claims 20 miles/gal should be achievable. I have heard that other old Volvos also develop this problem. What is the most likely culprit?
Thursday, August 3rd, 2006 AT 9:09 PM

JACK42
Try the oxygen sensor or the mass airflow meter
Tuesday, September 12th, 2006 AT 5:26 PM