MISFIRES AND DIES WHEN COLD, TAKES FOREVER T

1991 Volvo 240

kd5fvm

February, 9, 2009 AT 1:37 AM

1991 Volvo 240 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 167000 miles

Having a problem with my 91 Volvo 240 with a 4 cyl. When ever it it cold (setting for over an hour or longer) I can turn the key to start and it fires right up to a high idle, then settles right down to a nice smooth idle for about 5 seconds, then the idle drops, it starts to sputter, then the computer takes over and it goes back to a high idle for just a second or two, then it tries to idle again, then back to low. Shakey idle, then dies. On restart it does the same thing, everytime. Now if I feather the throttle to keep it runnin, it will stay runnin, but have to constantly feather the throttle even to make it take off and go down the road.(To make it go a constant 30mph, have to keep feathering it)
But, once the engine is warmed up(takes longer than usual, suspect the thermostat, but is irrelavent right now) it starts, idles, and runs perfect. Not sure on where to start, and dont want to spend money on something it dont need. Any help is appreciatted.
Thanks, David
**edit** also. How do you get the codes out of the computer? Thanks