STARTING PROBLEM

1999 Volkswagen Van

John Allen

June, 15, 2009 AT 12:57 PM

1999 Volkswagen Van 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 92500 miles

Intermittent starting problem (3 times in last 2 months) - after running for a few miles and then turned off the engine will not turn over - battery is good, new starter and ignition swithch installed by dealer at no cost to me. Lots of clicking sounds when key is turned but power does not seem to get to the starter. The first time it happened the mechanic started it by going directly from battery to starter.
Sometimes letting vehicle sit for a while works but the first time it happened to me this did not help and replacing the starter was supposedly the fix.
Recently called BCAA for a tow but after sitting for about an hour I was embarrased as the thing started right up when the truck arrived. ?
Had a mechanic check for error codes this morning but nothing shows up.

Docfixit

June, 15, 2009 AT 3:35 PM

Hi
Maybe faulty neutral safety switch. Next time it fails try moving shifter to neutral see if it starts.
Hope this helps
Thanks for donate

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang