1999 Volkswagen Passat Oil Pressure Reading

DATLOVELYLIZ
  • 1999 VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT
1999 Volkswagen Passat 6 cyl Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 193000 miles

I recently went to one VW dealership about my oil light, ABS light, brake light and RPM gauge, well, they told me my ABS module was to blame for the rpm, abs and brake but my Oil Pump was to blame for the Oil Light. Well, I felt this was wrong and got a second opinion who replace the ABS module and now all 4 problems have ceased. I'm working on getting a refund from the first place but was wanting information on the oil pressure readings I got, the 1st place told me that it was low at 1.2 bar @ idle and 1.7 bar @ 2000 and the 2nd dealer told me the readings looked like they came off of a 4cyl engine. So I wanted to know with a 6cyl engine what should the oil pressure read at it's lowest and at it's hightest and are these numbers incorrect for my vehicle?
Friday, February 29th, 2008 AT 7:19 PM

JACK42
Not sure about the metric to english conversion of "bar" to "psi". An engine typically needs at least 20 psi at idle and it should go up approx. 10 psi per 1000 rpm's, but generally will top out around 50 or 60 psi so as not to blow the seals in the engine. At 193,000 miles the pressure can be expected to be a little lower due to bearing wear and incresaed tolerances
Tuesday, March 4th, 2008 AT 7:36 AM