VERY wobbly steering wheel and serious transmission issues.

BOBBIEC
  • VOLKSWAGEN
Make: Volkswagen
Model: Passat
Year: 1997
Mileage: 112,000

My problems started with my car constantly going dead and needing a jump-start. Finally, we were told that the alarm was running the battery down. Still happens now and again. I replaced the battery----as long as I don't lock the doors it's fine.

The worst problem now is the steering ----the car vibrates a lot, but the steering wheel feels like it is shaking itself loose from the car----especially if we hit a large hole. It feels different than just being "out of line"---it feels like the wheels are coming off. It "agitates" to the left/right constantly.

Next is the gear shifting. When in reverse it's fine. Shift to "D", --- drive--- and the car jumps hard into gear. Then, while on the interstate ---I accelerate and the rpm hand will rise quickly, but it will not go into gear----when I shift the gear to 3rd and back into "D"---it is okay.

I am desperate for some advice.
Tuesday, August 1st, 2006 AT 1:22 PM

MAURAUDER
Although I have a 1998 auto trans passat and we have the same problems my friend. Take a look at my post "Which parts should be repaired first?" 8/24/AM

I listed all my problems and what VW said needed to be repaired. I just don't know which need to be done now or can wait for later. Hope it helps.
Dorothy.
Thursday, August 24th, 2006 AT 8:51 AM