IDLE AND IMISSIONS..

1999 Volkswagen

shannonneron

October, 1, 2010 AT 8:18 PM

1999 Other Volkswagen Models 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 180000 miles

I am trying to fix my mothers car for her. It is a 1999 Volkswagen cabrio. I just need a little advice. The idle has been running rough, almost stalling out at times. You can defiantly tell the engine is running rich, and the engine has a slight shake to it when the idle drops. The check engine light is on. My mother had driven it for almost 2 years with the light on. I brought it to auto zone and had the hook it up to the machine. It came out with like 7 codes, he said the were probably so many because it was driven so long with a problem. He reset the light and told me to come back when it came back on so we could narrow down the problem. It came back on and had them check it again and now it only will read error. I have brought it to several places and it does the same thing everywhere. In all the codes it pointed to the o2 sensor and the mad air flow sensor. Does this seem to be a correct reason for the problems. And is the any way not to be able to have a diagnostic done and have it not read error?

Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma