1992 VOLKSWAGEN ENGINE CUTS OUT

• SimonScientist
  • 1992 VOLKSWAGEN

1992 Other Volkswagen Models 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 49000 miles

Hi,
For the first time in about 3 years of driving this car (VW Polo, 1.3) the engine decided to cut out after I had driven c. 40 miles. The car has never given this problem on its usual 15 mile journeys. When it had "rested" for 10 minutes it started again and was OK for a few miles before cutting out again. In all, it stopped 6 or 7 times on the 150-mile round trip. The engine wasn't overheating and the fault didn't seem to be electrical. It was as if the fuel wasn't getting to the carb, but with a mechanical fuel pump, you wouldn't think it would have restarted after resting. I had a similar problem with a very early Polo I drove many years ago; I never found the cause, but it seemed to be worse in the autumn (fall), though this may just be a coincidence. This car I'm driving now has been absolutely reliable and never given the least trouble since I had it. I'd hate to have to get rid of it if this is a simple problem, so ireally would appreciate some advice from anyone who has had a similar experience with this model

Sunday, November 16th, 2008 AT 5:40 AM