99 (98.5) WON'T START WHEN WET

1999 Volkswagen Jetta

jdmba2008

1999 Volkswagen Jetta 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

I'm having the same problem as a few others here. My wife's 99 Jetta (old body style so really 98 1/2) dies and won't start after a car wash and/or heavy rain. After reading this board I'm 95% certain that the problem lies in the ignition system.

So far, I've replaced the distributor cap and attempted to replace the coil / module. I picked up and installed a new one from Kragen, and strangely, the car barely starts, idles rough and then dies. I replace the new coil with the old one and the car started right up. Is it possible that Kragen actually sold a bad coil, or could there be a bigger issue here?

I also still need to pick up a spray bottle to test the various components, but is there a chance that the problem could be in the crankshaft position sensor? If so, does anyone know where this sensor is and how difficult it is to replace it?

Many thanks! I've had two mechanics tell me that there is no way they can diagnose and fix this problem, so I can certainly use all the help I can get.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet